20. Harder, Faster

He was beyond reason; I could see that. Slipping my hands free, I took a step away from him. "Who!" His voice thundered around us forcing me to jolt. Smashing the side of his fisted hand against the mirror, he shattered the thin layer of glass. Sharp fragments of the reflective material, cut through his flesh- some lodging themselves there. I watching in horror as the man I loved morphed into the ruthless gangster New Orleans feared.

Thick red liquid coated the white percaline and I winced, reaching for his injured hand. Blood soaked through his shirt sleeve, decorating the floor with thick orbs of warm liquid. "Oh my god-Reece what the fuck!" I screamed, my fingers shaking as I carefully removed some of the visible shards- discarding them in the sink. His discipline had vanished and something sadistic and unhinged had taken its place. He didn't so much as flinch as he stood breathing heavily.

My eyes fogged with tears as I muttered incoherently, "Look at what you did...this-fuck Reece this is insane-" Shaking my grip free, he stormed out of the bathroom. Rushing after him, I watched as he threw the door open. Panic set in as I ran after him, clamping down on his arm as he stormed down the stairs. "Reece-stop!" I pleaded. Facing Max in this state of mind would get him killed.

Reece was formidable and this was known by anyone who'd ever heard his name. Twenty-eight years of life and Max had been the first to land a punch on him. Max had managed to hold his own in an impromptu fist fight, I wasn't prepared to find out how lucky the bastard could be in a gun fight. However, deranged the guy was, he seemed to have calculated every single move so far. Reece's blood rage would cloud his judgment, and in the end cripple him. He would walk headfirst into a hail of bullets if it meant he could get his hands around Max's throat. I shuddered at the image, fearing that Max's earlier threat to Reece's life was inevitable.

Not even my father's entire security team combined possessed the strength to hold him back now. "Fuck Reece, you need to calm down. I can't let you do this-" I gasped, crashing his into his tensed form as he spun to face me.

My footsteps retreated of their own accord until I met the foyer wall. "Whoever did this, will pay." He gritted out, his voice steely and harsh. Lowering his face to mine he growled almost feral at this point. "I can't let this slide, not when it's you- fuck anything could have happened." His jaw worked mechanically; his gaze flickered in anticipation- almost craving the violence he intended to unleash.

Shaking my head, I held his face in my hands. "Please Reece, you're not thinking straight. I'm not so helpless and Tanner would not have let it get that far. I'm always protected-" His fingers, clamped around my wrist abruptly as his head shot up.

Realising I had just put Tanner in his crosshairs, I stammered out a protest as he threw open the large manor doors and hurdled outside. "Tanner!" He roared, effortlessly shoving aside one of the men to his right. The security tensed in unison, turning their attention towards Reece's nightmarish form. Tanner stepped forward, swallowing nervously as he noticed me. Surging forward, Reece fisted Tanner's collar- hauling him closer. "Who- the fuck was hear?!" He barked into Tanner's face, shaking him with a violent jolt.

Clasping Reece's forearm, I made a hilarious attempt to free the man from his hold. "Fuck-let him go, Reece!"

"Answer me." He ordered, unresponsive to my demands. Flinching, Tanner glanced in my direction- the action earning Reece's complete attention. Shoving him back, Reece reached for Tanner's belt. Pulling out his side arm, he sat the guns barrel right between the man's widened eyes. Tanner sucked in a sharp breath, staring death in the face. "Who?" Reece grated the word out, flicking the safety off and stroking the smooth, curved trigger.

Ducking under his arm, I clamped my fingers around his wrist- forcing the gun to my head. "Max- It was Max!" I screamed, brushing Tanner aside with my free hand. "He was here the night I learnt the truth." I whispered, tears beginning to stream down my cheeks.