Interlude: The Most Powerful Sorceress

Sylvia De Floresca frowned as she stared at her paperwork, finding it harder to concentrateand thus complete itthan usual.

Sitting in front of her was a report, one of many, which detailed several complaints from various factions about a certain Sorceress overseeing Ashtown. Many of the nobles disliked the way this Sorceress did things, which, of course, meant more paperwork for Sylvia.

Erica is causing me even more headaches than usual.

She had never liked Erica Demonica de Angelo. It wasn't merely because their personalities clashed. Erica had proven to be nothing but trouble ever since she became a Sorceress. Her debaucherous ways were a disgrace to the time-honored traditions that Sylvia had toiled for centuries to create. What's more, the way she went through Knights as if they were trinkets to be used and discarded was appalling.

It was even worse because Erica had no trouble butting heads with her. The number of times they had argued over one point or another were so numerous that she had lost count. In the past 100 years alone, Erica had argued with her on no less than 65 occasionsand in a public forum at that. Sylvia wouldn't have minded if the woman actually had a valid reason for doing so, but she got the distinct feeling that Erica was merely disagreeing with her to rile her up.

And Caspian is still acting as a temporary Knight for that woman—really, who's ever heard of a temporary Knight?

She had high hopes for Caspian. Thus far the young man had proven himself to be exactly what she'd hoped he would be; a young man with incredible strength, the skills to match, and the potential to continue growing. He would be perfect for their newest colleague, especially given their shared history together. Of course, he would still have to prove himself in the upcoming tournament, but she was sure he'd succeed.

That was why she would not allow Erica to sink her claws into him. Caspian was far too important to let some promiscuous female get their hands on him.

If Erica ruins Caspian for the Sorceress he's destined to be with, then I will have to make sure that she understands what it means to earn my wrath.

"Excuse me, m'lady."

Sylvia looked up in time to see her Knight enter her office. D'artagnan el Melloi was a handsome middle-aged man with sharp, angular features and a chiseled physique. Dark blue, almost black hair, framed his face, and eyes the color of burnished steel stared out ferociously behind a calm facade, making it look like his gaze was stabbing whatever he looked at.

The armor he wore was light. A leather jerkin, shoulder pauldrons, greaves and vambraces. Two swords hung from a pair of sheaths strapped across his back, forming an X as they crossed each other.

"Yes, D'artagnan?"

"I have another report for you. This one is from Erica."

The index finger on Sylvia's left hand twitched. If D'artagnan saw it, he did not say anything.

"Thank you." She took the report from her Knight and glossed over it. "It appears Erica has finally managed to pin Marco Truént de Picco with negligence to properly maintain his factories. She's sent for a member of the MSC to come by and inspect the rest for hazards." Sylvia leaned back in her chair. "That's one less issue to deal with, I suppose."

"Indeed." D'artagnan seemed to read her thoughts perfectly. "However, there is still the issue of the elves who are after Erica's life."

"Yes." Sylvia's lips shifted into a frown. "That is troubling. While I dislike that woman on principle, the mere fact that someone would try to assassinate one of our Sorceresses is cause for concern."

"Is that why you've had Elincia move into your manor?"

"It is. As our newest Sorceress, Elincia is invaluable. While there are many Sorceresses, very few possess the power that she does. And, given her heritage, she could be the key to achieving the goal that I had for myself set back when I first became a Sorceress."

"What should we do about Erica and her elf problem?" asked D'artagnan, shifting gears to another topic.

Sylvia sighed. "We shall trust that Caspian can protect her. If nothing else, this will prove to be a good test for him." She paused and, if only for a moment, allowed the worry she felt to show on her face. Then she squashed that worry and focused on other matters. "Has there been any more news on those attempted thefts?"

"None," D'artagnan answered. "There also haven't been any more thefts since the attempt to break into Karen Hildegarde's workshop. The nobles have also quieted down."

Sylvia resisted the urge to rub her eyes. Nobles were never quiet. She always had at least one of them complaining to the Sorceress Council about something. For them to no longer come to her with complaints was cause for concern—for them to stop complaining or acting out entirely was cause for alarm. She couldn't help but feel like something was going on. At the same time...

"There is nothing we can do about them right now. If the nobles are no longer going to pester me about some issue or another, then we can use that time to improve the daily lives of those we rule."

"It is as you say."

"Send a letter to Karen Hildegard asking if her latest invention is complete. With MagiTech on the rise, I would like a product that could tip the scales back in our favor."

MagiTech was a noble corporation that had, in the past five years, managed to rise to the top of the market in magical technology. Sylvia believed it was due to their new head, a young noble with a penchant for numbers and a ruthless business acumen. While it might not mean much in the grand scheme of things, having a man like him leading their greatest rivals for magical technology made her uneasy.

D'artagnan bowed. "I shall do as you say."

"Good. Oh! And be sure to let Elincia that I'm requesting her presence. There is something I would like to speak with her about."

"Of course, m'lady."

The door shut behind D'artagnan's retreating back, leaving Sylvia alone in her room. She glanced around the spartan interior. She had very little in the way of decoration—a few paintings of landscapes, a shelf filled with tomes, and her desk, which overlooked the city of Casadinia. Aside from a few papers and a rather ornate calligraphy pen, her desk was mostly clear of clutter. Only a single picture frame decorated the otherwise barren desk, the picture within showing an image of her standing with two other people; a young girl with silvery blond hair, blue eyes and long, pointed ears, and a little boy with hair the color of blood, green eyes, and slightly pointed ears.

Knowing that the paperwork wouldn't do itself, Sylvia went back to work.

The room's solitude was broken only by the sounds of a pen scratching against paper.

**************************************************************************************

Another chapter, this one a slight diversion from the main plot. I wanted to let you guys see Sylvia de Floresca for a change, to introduce you to the woman who is more or less in charge. What did you think of her?

As always, please remember to vote for this story. If you have friends who might like it, don't hesitate to share it with them. Also, if you have any comments or questions, let me know in the comment section below.

Thank you for reading. I hope you enjoyed this chapter.