Chapter 9

CHAPTER 9: WELCOME TO THE FAMILY, KID.

(TONY STARK JR.’S P.O.V.)

“So, who are you?” I said after Allie left. This guy just kicked out my girlfriend and not to mention he was wearing a grey war suit that looked eerily similar to the Iron Man suits.

“I’m James Rhodes. But you can call me Rhodey. I’m your trainer.” He said. “Okay… just one question: how the hell did you get that suit?”I said.

“I was your dad’s best friend. Did he ever tell you about War Machine?” Rhodey asked.

“No. You mean to tell me that you’re a former hero?” I said. How did I know I could trust this guy?

Apparently he picked up on that. “Hey, look, I know at this point your trust is broken. But you can trust me. I was like your dad’s side-kick. And believe me, I would much rather be in NYC not here teaching kids to kill. But I did it so your dad wouldn’t have to. You needed him.” Rhodey said.

“So, you knew about me?” I said, looking up at him, my hands in my pockets.

“You bet. Now, I hate to break it to you, but you have to go eat breakfast then we start training.” He said. I could really tell that Rhodey didn’t want to be there. I couldn’t believe that someone had given up so much for me. The only other person who had ever done that was Allie. But Rhodey had given up his freedom so my parents could stay with me. That was big.

Two ladies and a man that were obviously Council followers came up behind Rhodey. One of the ladies was carrying a pair of clothes. Rhodey stepped aside to let them in. “Tony these are your stylists: June, Jacinda, and Marv.” He said.

“Well, look at you! You were wrong Marv. You owe me 5 bucks. He’s already so handsome!” June said. Okay, was she hitting on me or something? And did they seriously bet on me? This was really awkward now. Not that it wasn’t before, though.

“Oh stop, June!” Jacinda waved a hand at June and stepped forward with the clothes.“These are your training clothes, sweetie.” She handed put them on the bed next to me then took a step back.

“Now, we’ll go and we’ll meet up again later. James will show you the ropes.” Marv said, leading the other two stylists out of the room. Rhodey went out into the hall after them and closed the door.

The training clothes were skin tight like black and blue under armor and it felt really awkward in some places. After I got dressed, I fixed my hair and met Rhodey out in the hall.

“Alright. That was weird.” I said, referring to June and Jacinda.

“Yeah, they’re always like that at first. But they’re actually really nice after you get to know them.” Rhodey said, starting down the hall. I had to admit, I was liking the spy boots. They felt strangely like my high top converse sneakers.

“So you knew my dad? As in, before the invasion?” I said. I had no idea what my dad had been like before the invasion crushed his spirit. This guy knew him better than I did.

“Yeah. But don’t go there. That’s a minefield. It’s like Pandora’s box- don’t open it.” Rhodey said, shaking his head. We came to a pair of glass doors. Rhodey held the door for me before saying, “I’ll see you in a little while.”

Allie was already sitting on a couch, watching the TV mounted on the wall. Some of the other tributes were sitting around a table, also watching the TV. It was coverage of the Reaping yesterday. I had walked in just in time to see Ren going up to stage, then Allie volunteering. Everyone stopped watching and looked back her, stunned. Allie had cussed out Justin Hammer on national television.