Chapter 11

CHAPTER 11- YOU DIDN’T KNOW HIM

(Nyssa’s P.O.V.)

I threw on my black and grey army jacket and grabbed my backpack.

“Where’re you goin’?” Kasey said as I came downstairs.

“Going out to drop off something at a friend’s house.” I said, plainly.

“Okay. Don’t stay out too late.” She said. I was glad Kasey was so nice. She was my godmother and had taken me in after my parents were shot when I was really little.

She was a former S.H.I.E.L.D. agent and had been really good friends with my mom. I could talk to her about anything- Tony, the rebels, school, anything. I jogged downstairs and flipped my hood up when I got outside. I hadn’t exactly lied to Kasey, I just hadn’t told the whole truth. I was going to visit someone Tony made me promise to look out for. But it would require me to cross the border, which I had never done before. Sure, when I crossed I’d get a small electrical shock from my probation ring and that was a good enough reason not to go, but I just had never really had any desire to go into the suburbs.

Tony used to go all the time and I was sure that if he ever got his probation rings taken off, he’d have black singe marks burned into his arm. But I wasn’t about to break my promise. I crossed into the suburbs and found Allie’s house pretty easily. It wasn’t too far from the city and I recognized the broken gutter from the story Tony had told me about how he Allie broke it when Allie fell off the roof. I went up to the porch and knocked on the door. A man with dirty blonde hair and dark brown eyes like Allie’s got the door.

“You must be… Nyssa?” he said.

“How’d you know?” I asked. As far as I’d heard, Tony hadn’t gotten a chance to tell Mr. Barton about his little escapade.

“My son told me. Come in, please.” He said. Now I knew why Allie was always so nice, it must run in the family. Their house smelled like cooking and was well lit. You could almost tune yourself out from the hell outside- unless you had lived in the city all your life. Then it just felt like being in a movie.

“Hi there.” A lady with long, wavy brown hair leaned her head over the couch in the living room when we came in.