Chapter 13

CHAPTER 13: THE ARENA- DAY 2

Tony ran down dimly lit hallways. Yells and gunshots went off from somewhere behind him. He kept running until he came to a large door. Tony took a screwdriver off his utility belt and started hacking the door's locking system. He had it open in a minute or two. The others were gaining on him- fast. Tony didn't wait for the door to slide open all the way, just slid under the opening at the bottom. In the middle of the room stood a blue and silver IronMan suit. Tony knew what to do. "J.A.R.V.I.S. sleep mode off. Activation code stark zero two." He said. The eyes and arc reactor of the suit flashed on. Suddenly Tony heard a bang and a loud scream of pain from somewhere down the hall.

Tony shot up from the floor, breathing heavy and sweating.

Allie wasn't in the room, she had no idea he was having another nightmare.

Instead of the agreed upon "watch" spot, she'd decided to sit outside the front door in full view. It was like she had a death wish, but she was being smart. She'd rigged up a few booby traps while Tony had been sleeping, one of them right at the front door, two more on the roof and a few on the windows.

It took a moment for Tony to calm down and remember where he was. The Marvel Games, day 2. He checked his broken wrist. It was still that unnatural shade of purple and black, but it looked maybe a slight bit better than it had the night before. Allie's backpack was sitting over by the stairs but she wasn't nearby. Tony wasn't worried. Allie could take care of herself. He knew that and sometimes had to remind himself that he didn't need to protect her.

It was light out. Allie yawned and went inside.

"Morning." She mumbled and dumped the only weapon they had, a hand gun, on the table.

"Hey. Where'd you go?" Tony asked calmly. He had a lost, uncertain look in his eyes and Allie couldn't believe he was seventeen. He always looked so much younger than he actually was. And she noticed for the first time that Tony wasn't completely relaxed about the games. For the first time, part of him might not know what to do. But she wasn't sure she really knew what to do, either. They were on the same page for once. But still, that look on his face worried her a little.

"Setting up booby traps." She said and sat next to him, her knees bent up and her arms wrapped around them like she was in fetus position. "Are you okay?"

Tony starred down at the floor and shook his head a little. Allie had enough on her plate. He didn't want her to have to deal with his problems too. He was sure he'd have to explain how he knew exactly where the suit was eventually, but someone had died trying to help him in that dream. That wasn't very promising.

"Tony, you need to tell me." Allie tried to look in his eyes, "I know you're hiding something."

"You... I... it's just... I really know where the suit is but..." Tony said, still looking down at the floor.

Allie sighed and compromised. "Alright. If we don't get he'll by midday we'll go into the city again. We'll fight the suit. I promise."

"No I’m not worried about the city- much. I want you to stay here or don’t go in with me or something. I..." Tony couldn't get himself to say that she might get shot trying to buy him time. It was too much and it was hard to say in the first place.

"I'm going with you Tony." She said determinedly. "You think I'm useless but I'm not. You need help. We're in this together, why don't you understand that?"

"I know you can fight, I know you've got amazing aim..." Tony said, "I just don't want you to get killed!" He put his head down in his arms on the table. Tony was shocked that he'd just yelled at Allie.

"Sorry." she mumbled. "I'll go then. "

If Tony didn't think she would be able to handle herself she'd prove him wrong. She grabbed the backpack she'd picked up and left.