0.6

c a l u m

The walk back to the safe house gave me time to think -- think about what would happen when we handed Kit over to Gerard to be tested on. The only answer I could come up with was death. She would definitely die just like every other infected they tried to do testing on.

I refused to let that happen.

I had to come up with a new plan very fast. I could possibly scare Michael and Luke into leaving her alone but I knew Ashton would never ever be scared of me. Ashton wasn't scared of anything but neither was I when it came to Kit.

I carried her, slung over my back with my arms over her legs. We had folded her hands together and tied them so she couldn't claw at us and we tied her feet together so she couldn't run in case we had to put her down. Something that was like a muzzle was put over her mouth so she couldn't bite anyone and get the rest of us infected as well.

"How long is this supposed to last?" Michael asked, holding the empty tranquilizer in his hand.

"About forty-five minutes to an hour." Ashton replied, leading the trek back to the safe house.

We were already about halfway there and I was hoping Kit wouldn't wake up before hand. If she woke up and was too uncontrollable, Ashton would kill her on the spot. I wouldn't be able to protect her.

I started to try to think of how I could prolong our stay at the safe house, at least mine and Kit's. I doubted Ashton would let us stay there by ourselves and even if he did, I didn't think I'd be able to convince him to tell Gerard we were dead so no one would come look for us. Ashton was dead set on always doing the right thing which is what made him the best of the best. Maybe if I was like that, I'd be the best, but I didn't want that. All I wanted was to help Kit.

About fifteen minutes later, Ashton stopped walking and turned around, something in his hand that he went to jam into Kit's leg. I quickly grabbed his wrist to stop him.

"What is that?" I demanded.

He rolled his eyes, "It's a tranquilizer. It's smaller and lasts for about half an hour. It's been almost forty-five minutes so I need to give her another one in case she wakes up."

I nodded slowly and let go of his arm, "Oh, alright then."

"Why are you still-" he paused and grunted as he jammed the needle into the back of her thigh. The way I was holding her, he could see her bite mark and he made a face, "-protecting her? She's already one of them. Her skin's got that light green tint already. You can't protect her anymore."

"I will protect her until she is 100% dead." I promised.

"She already is as good as dead." Ashton stated.

"Fuck off!" I growled.

Michael stepped in and places a hand on both of our chests. I hadn't realized Ashton and I were so close to each other now, "Alright, calm down. Ashton, stop being so heartless, she's Calum's only family. You'd act like that if one of your siblings got infected."

Ashton swatted Michael's hand away and went back to walking without saying another word.

-

Luke got the concrete door open to the room we'd be keeping Kit locked up in. There was a table that looked like it was made out of steel and was possibly used for surgery back when life was normal. There were metal restraints to hold down her wrists and ankles. I had Michael help me strap her to the table and refused to leave her after that.

"Do you want me to keep the door open?" Michael asked before he left the room.

I nodded, "Kit never liked being alone in the dark."

I saw a hint of pity for me before he left the room, leaving the door open like I asked. I lit the few candles that were in the room and sat down against the wall, watching Kit.

I didn't know if I was scared or excited for Kit to wake up. I knew she wouldn't remember me but maybe there was a possibility I could somehow make her remember me. Had anyone ever tried that before? Probably not. It was a long shot but I was desperate to have my only family back.

My thinking was interrupted by the sound of chains and loud growling. I looked up at saw Kit thrashing around. I scrambled to get up just as Ashton walked into the room, his eyes narrowing as he looked her over. I glared at him and stood beside her.

"What do you want?" I asked lowly.

Kit's bright blue eyes were now almost white as she looked widely between us and continued making growling and panting sounds.

"I just wanted to see how she is." he answered calmly, looking down at her body. He poked at the makeshift bandage around Kit's bite mark on her leg that was covered in blood. "You should change that."

I narrowed my eyes, "Why do you care?"

"If it was my sister, I'd be the same way." he shrugged. "Michael had a point. We have real bandages if you want to wrap her leg up. At least it'll keep it from getting infected and stop her from decaying faster. I've heard the scientists talk and they think maybe that's what starts making them decay. Their bites are never treated and they just turn to dust from the inside, out."

I nodded slowly, not sure if I completely trusted Ashton yet, especially considering how much he disliked Kit, "Thanks."

He left to go grab them and I looked down at Kit. She looked back up at me and tried desperately to open her mouth. I knew she wanted nothing more than to bite me because she wasn't herself but I was sure that somewhere in there, my Kit was still in there.