Chapter 4

I teleported to the emergency entrance of the hospital and walked in.

"Nick Fury," I asked.

She pointed down the hall and I saw Steve and Hill looking through a window. I ran over there, standing by Steve, looking in wide-eyed. Fury was on the table and the doctors were working on him.

"Tell me about the shooter," I said, mind working. There weren't many assassins who could pull off something like this.

"He was fast, and strong," Steve said, his voice grave. "Had a metal arm."

I held my breath as the name came to mind. James. But it wasn't possible. He had disappeared off the face of the Earth since Tasha met up with him in Iraq and he had put a hole in her.

Hill walked over next to me, nervous.

"Ballistics?" I asked her.

"3 slugs," she said. "No rifling, completely untraceable."

"Soviet made," I finished.

"Yeah," she said.

Damn it, I was right. James had attacked Fury. I was distracted from my thoughts as Fury suddenly flat lined. The doctors were suddenly in a commotion, moving around, trying to save him.

"Don't do this to me, Fury," I whispered. "Come on, Nick, don't you die on me."

Finally, after they tried everything, the doctors called it. I leaned the ledge, and took deep breaths. No, no, no. This was wrong. This isn't right. This should not be happening to me again.

***

They let us in to see the body once they unhooked him. I walked in, and stood next to him. I still couldn't believe it. He was dead. Nick Fury was dead. The man who had watched over me as a child, who I had played pranks on, who had let me have some sense of normalcy in an organization bent on secrets, knowing he'd recruit me, and could have trained me from day one in the junior program. But instead he had let me grow up somewhat normal. Let Tasha and Clint train me. Let Coulson and others who they trusted train me.

And now I had lost the two men I had thought of as fathers. The closest things I had had to fathers.

"They need to take him," Hill murmured from behind me to Steve. That knocked me out of my thoughts. I felt around mentally, and found that Steve had been behind me the whole time. Hill was telling Steve I needed to leave.

He walked up behind me.

"Jaime," he said.

A rogue tear slipped down my face. I laid a hand on Fury's head.

I'll find him. I'll help him. That's what you would've done.

I walked out into the hall, past Hill, and leaned against the wall, hands on my knees. I took deep breaths, closing my eyes. I needed a plan. I needed a way to find him. Before they put him under again. The soviet agency Hydra worked in must still be running. I'd find them. End them. Help James. Get him out like he had gotten me out all those years ago.

"Jaime," Steve said, having followed me out.

"Why was Fury at our apartment?" I asked when I turned to Steve.

I saw the lie in his eyes before he even said it.

"I don't know," Steve said, giving me a confused look and spreading his arms out.