Chapter 8

Clang!swoosh!clang!
No way I am going to let a low ninja like this defeat me. I will show him my true strength even though I am using a sword. Ugh! He accidentally cut my cheek, but it's nothing that can't be healed.
My, this guy has got some moves of his own. I can tell that one day, he will become a master in sword fighting. He combines what we teach him here with his own moves to form a new technique. This is what we need. More people like him. He has the spirit and skills needed to end this war. If only there was-
"Hey Ren! Your girlfriend's here for you!"
"Stop talking nonsense Midori! Can't you tell I'm in the middle of training you nut?
"Okay then Miyuki! You can leave now!"
"I said stop lying you idiot! I know her, she wouldn't be that stupid to come to a place like this!"
Then....
Thunk!
An arrow? What is it doing over here? I know some of these ninja are new, but at least control the direction the arrow is flying! Seriously.
"Who shot this arrow? Show yourself!"
A path formed and I can see who is standing on the other side of this path. It is Miyuki. Why did she shoot it? But where did she learn to shoot? Is she an assassin after all this time? I don't think so, but she does have the right posture for shooting it. Did she learn it when she was still living with her family, or did someone teach her here at our base?
She looked at me in the eyes and then she walked away. Did she want something? I must've upset her when I said she was stupid. I didn't actually think she would come here. I'm such an idiot. I should apologize to her when I get the chance to see her again. She might not even come and see me again. I really made her feel stupid.
***
I finally found the kitchen. Thanks to a maid who was also heading there, I told her why I wanted to go there and everything. At first, she seemed hesitant, but she then thanked my for my kindness and we rushed to the kitchen. Today, the meal isn't that hard to prepare. Everyone in the kitchen greeted me warmly. Like a family would, except I don't have one anymore.
The head cook told me that I could help cut up the onions, mushrooms, tomatoes, carrots, and cabbages for the stew. When she finished talking, I quickly began to work., I tied my hair up into a bun and I borrowed a looser kimono to work with. As I chopped the the carrots, the maids looked at me stunned.
"Miyuki, I didn't know you can do this kind of work so quickly! You didn't even cut yourself yet! You're amazing!"
"We're lucky to have a helper around here. With you here, everyone is so cheerful and more lively."
"It's really a lucky thing Ren picked a girl like you up from the forest. We call that pure luck!"
Everyone was laughing and smiling at each other, they told me about their lives. Some of them already had granddaughters and grandsons. With this on my mind, I quickly began to forget how hurt I felt and the anger I felt when the ninja I bumped into said those rude things to me, also Ren.
Around noon, we finished cooking and we began to bring out the utensils to eat with.
"You're so talented! No wonder everyone loves you."
"Thank you so much, but I don't need all these compliments."
The head cook told me that we get to eat first before the ninjas and soldiers eat. I also asked then where do we bring the food when it's the soldiers and ninjas turn to eat.
"Ah, so you are curious are you? You just carry as many plates and bowls of rice as you can to the training courtyard. They basically live in there, well most of them do anyways."
The kitchen soon erupted in laughter and jokes. It was fun, until I realized that I promised Azusa that I'll meet him later at the garden. Why not now?
"Say, do you know where I can find the garden? I want to see it first before we bring out the meals for the others."
"Sure. It's on the opposite side of your room my dear. Go and spend as much time as you want there. You have been a great to us already. I'm sure you don't want to hand out with a bunch old ladies and maids like us any longer."
I shook my head and tell them that I'll be coming back very soon to help them. Before I go to the garden I'd better check on the sacred sword to make sure no one took it. I should be more careful with it. I believe I can just stuff it into my kimonos. They're very big and puffy after all.
Hmmm, good, it's still here. No one took it. I quickly put it in the under my white kimono and go outside to the garden. It was beautiful, just like Azusa said. I wonder where he is. He said he'll be waiting for me here. Well, I guess I'll take a stroll around first.
The air smelled so fresh. The Sakura danced in the breeze as it swayed from side to side. It's petals fell of the branches and landed on my head. I love this atmosphere. It's so calming. Such a relaxing sensation. What is that near that tree over there? Is that a person?! Is it Azusa?! He looks like he has fallen asleep waiting for me. That weird ninja.
As I came towards him , the path I walked on have beautiful flowers drawn onto it. Each tile I stepped on had a different flower. It was so magnificent. The green bushes on the sides of the path where do green. It looked as thought they weren't even real. I should plant some flowers when no ones in the training courtyard later.
As I thought of all these thoughts, I forgot that I was still walking towards Azusa who was sitting on the ground, fast asleep. Then I tumbled onto him and I fell head first into the grass. Ow. This stinks. Why am I so clumsy today out of all days?
"Hmmm."
I heard Azusa moaning in his sleep. I think he's waking up, I better get up now! As I try to, an arm wraps around my waist and pulls me closer to Azusa! No, tell me this isn't happening! I'm so flustered right now! Please Azusa, let me go, let me go, let me go, let me go!
"Eeek!"
I yelled and to my surprise, this time, Azusa woke up.
"Huh? Is that you Miyuki? I've been waiting for you to come since morning.hmmmmm. Ugh."
"U-ummm, can you let go of me now?"
"What? Oh. Sorry, I was dreaming about horses and Soryu was chasing after me. I climbed onto one in the dream and hugged it cuz I thought I was going to fall off of it. I guess I mistaken you for the horse. Sorry."
Seeing him like this makes me laugh because he seems like a little boy who just woke up from his nap. He's even rubbing his eyes cutely. Wait, what am I saying? I'm calling a grown man cute. That's not right.
"Um, you said you wanted to show me around the garden? But before you show me, can you tell me where I can find the gardening tools? I want to plant some later."
"Oh, uh, their over there, in the stables."
I left him on the ground as I rushed into the stable. I saw so many horses! They were so adorable! There was a white coated horse, a black one, a brown one, a one with a white coat, and some black spots. They were all so pretty! I didn't realized that I was petting one until, Azusa came in and yelled at me.
"Hey! Don't touch that horse! It's mine!"
I was so surprised that I almost jumped.
"Oh. I'm sorry, I didn't realize I was petting it. I wanted to touch it and I guess I touched it without realizing it. I'm so sorry."
He glared at me with furious eyes. I almost thought I saw flames glowing in his eyes.
I looked down at the ground for a while, then I felt a cool hand gently pet my head.
"I'm sorry too. I scared you and then I even yelled at you. It's just that this horse really means a lot to me, you know? It saved my life once, when I was almost dead. I guess you could say we're the best of friends. A man and a horse. Heh."
He sounded like he really loved the horse. I felt so guilty about it.
"Hey Miyu-chan, why do you need gardening tools, don't tell me you want to garden."
I nodded my head in silence.
"You should've told me earlier! Forget this garden, we'll plant some together! But... Where do you want to garden?"
"I was thinking the training courtyard, it could use some fresh colors."
"I never thought about it until you pointed that out. You're right! Let's go plant some right now!"
As he turned around, I held onto the sleeve of his kimono.
"Wait, Azusa. I can't garden right now, because I have to go back to the kitchen. I'm helping out with the maids."
"Aww! They can handle it on their own. Lets go garden please?"
He was a cute face, but I have reject his offer.
"I'm really sorry. I promised them I would come back, I'll see you at lunch then Azusa."
I took my leave and walked back to the kitchen to help prepare then meals. Then meal time began.
***