18

"Going somewhere?" A cool voice drawled, halting me in my tracks

"Going somewhere?" A cool voice drawled, halting me in my tracks. I had decided to leave the library after all and had passed Tom, who had been watching me the entire time.

"Back to my common room," I replied coolly. "What's it to you?"

I bit my lip as Tom's face hardened and he suddenly shot up from his seat and seized my arm in a tight grip. Sparks shot up my arm and I gasped, yearning to yank my arm out of his grip but as if Tom felt them too he suddenly dropped my arm as though it were bathed in lead. He took a step back, stumbling slightly.

"Well," he said angrily, his nose up in the air as he fixed his clothing up. "I do hope you're aware that I'm Head Boy."

"So?" I said, amusement in my voice. I looked down at the desk he had been sitting at and looked at all the scribble marks on his parchment. "Need some help?"

"Need some help?" Tom scoffed, squinting slightly. "I should be asking you the same, though you aren't getting any from me."

I then noticed that some books had fallen out of my bag because the bag managed to tip upside down. But that wasn't what bothered me the most. No what bothered me the most was how much of a tool that Tom was suddenly being towards me.

I took a step closer, trying my hardest not to give him an evil stare. "When someone is being nice to you, you're expected to return that kindness."

Tom ignored me and sat down back in his seat, but he was still staring up at me, mischief in his eyes. "You know I never admitted that I murdered my father, Abigail..."

I was taken aback by the sudden comment and barely realised that all the books in my bag had toppled out. Tom rolled his eyes. I walked closer so that I was out of earshot of others.

"What do you mean?" I gritted my teeth. "You did admit it."

"Maybe if you hadn't walked away with your beloved then I might have."

He knew. That had I not walked away he'd admit that he murdered his father. But what had he meant when he spoke about Avery that day in the forest. Tom must have noticed and I decided to just leave my books on the ground with my bag and I took a seat next to him quickly. Tom didn't have any reaction towards this whatsoever. In fact, he looked a little keen about something.

"Avery isn't as innocent as you think, Abigail," Tom smirked, staring at me with a look I couldn't name. "In fact, I suggest you leave him right away before you end up getting hurt."

"What are you talking about?"

Tom didn't say anything. Instead, his smirk widened and he kept quiet, watching me suffer. When I figured he wasn't going to reply, I leaned back, exhaled, and stood from the seat.

"You know what? I don't have time for your rubbish, Tom," I snapped, moving over to pack the books back in my bag.

"Everyone is a sinner, you know?"