30

"Well," Brianna started, her voice sounding uneven and unusually high-pitched, "that was strange

"Well," Brianna started, her voice sounding uneven and unusually high-pitched, "that was strange."

Everything was still quiet after that, a few Slytherin's exchanging confused looks or making small talk here and there. I, however, deep down, hoped that Tom hadn't dragged him outside for what he'd done to me; I didn't want anybody to know.

Emily stared at me with pursed lips, her eyes speaking a language I couldn't necessarily understand. A whirl of emotions spun in her light grey eyes, and I blinked and looked away. Emily seemed to want to speak, to say something, but another set of footsteps beat her to it - light enough to belong to a female. And I watched as Colette sneered at the three of us before scoffing as she headed out of the common room.

"Um..." Emily said awkwardly, shifting from foot to foot, finally breaking eye contact. "Should we get some breakfast?"

"Let's."

The three of us headed out of the common room, avoiding everybody's annoying stare. Emily kept glancing at me as we walked, slowly and solemnly. Brianna bounced with chatter, completely oblivious.

"What?" I muttered lowly to Emily, low enough that Brianna wouldn't hear as she talked and talked.

"Nothing."

"...and then she had a go at me just for saying hello to her! Her parents have brought her up the wrong way around, I mean, she's back the front!" Brianna rambled, waving her arms around as she spoke. "And then she had the nerve to go ahead and shove her shoulder into mine when we were leaving the Great Hall. What is wrong with her?"

We walked corridor down corridor, up and around stairs, and down narrow hallways. I'd hate it if my common room were down in the dungeons; it'd take such a long time to get to the Great Hall every morning. Just as we turned down the next corridor, the three of us stopped dead in our tracks, a hissing sound filling the deserted corridor, echoing louder than it should have. We exchanged funny looks and stood there in silence, listening to the hissing and the thuds and the awful sounds.

"What is that?" Brianna whispered in fear, her eyes widening and her eyebrows creasing.

"I didn't do anything!" A voice cried quietly, though it would have been louder had we walked into the boys bathroom. "I didn't - I didn't..."

THUD.

"I heard you, you fool," a second voice hissed, followed by another noise. "I heard you this morning, going on to the lads about how great..."

The second voice paused, followed by, once again, another thud.

By now, I was shaking. The noises and the tones these people were using were horrifying. I was sure Emily and Brianna were shaking too - even Brianna's teeth were chattering.

"Should...should erm...sh-should we go?" Emily stammered. "They're probably just practising a play for Muggle Studies. You said you were studying Muggle acting, didn't you, Abigail?"