Chapter Twelve

As Khaleed pulled up to the house, I recognized a car parked in the driveway. I looked closely at it and walked in the house. It was my aunt and uncle.

My whole family knew they were drug dealers. They couldn't hide it. Anytime you would come over to their house, they had someone who looked bout as tough as Bibby. He would look at us. Then have to speak in private with my uncle. But if it's someone else, such as from their job at the aquarium, they'll let you hear about the fishes. But for some reason, I feel as though my uncle, aunt, and brother have been working together for a while.

When I closed the door, my aunt turned towards us. "My babies." she said walking towards us giving us a hug. "Where's my great nephew?" she asked as she hugged Khaleed.

"In his room." he replied as she let go. My mother said she would take her upstairs so she can see Kaapro. Khaleed smiled as she went upstairs to go see Kaapro with our mother. My uncle stood there. With his hands in his pocket. Then his phone rang. He looked at it. Swiped. Then looked at us.

"So.. what happened?" he asked sitting down on the couch near him. I told him everything. From what happened the day before. And me being shot at today.

He stood up when I told him about Cage. "That right there. That can't happen. Nobody shoots at my family. Nobody." he was pacing back and forth. Then Khaleed's phone rang. He smile when he saw who it was. I couldn't see who it was.

"Wassup... ard. You good right?... So that means you can come out?... Aight.." he looked at me. "I'mma bring some people wit me. " then he mumbled something and smirked at me. "Be there in an hour."  He stood up. "Come on. Let's go."

"Where we going?" I asked.

"Why does it matter? We going somewhere. Which I know you'll enjoy." We walked outside. Bibby, Durk, and Herb were all sitting on our front porch. When they saw us, they all nodded and stood up, walking to Khaleed's car. My uncle sat in the front. While I sat in the back with  Bibby, herb, and Durk. They kept talking the whole ride. It was annoying. All I wanted to do was to listen to the music in the car. But they ruined that.

We pulled up to a hospital. Everybody got out but me and Herb. Only because he couldn't get out unless I did.

"What's going on? Why we here?" I asked. I looked back at Herb.

He sighed. "We came to get our n!gga." he replied. "Now, can we get out the car?"

Once we got in the building, they boys stayed huddled around me. I felt all of their guns on my body. It felt really weird. We got to Don's room. He was sitting up on his bed. The boys stepped away and let me go in the room first. I walked in, Don looked up. He smiled weakly.

"A-a-a-a-are you o-ok?" I asked scared. He looked at me while he lifted up his shirt. I could see the bullet hole. It was near belly button. But I thought he was shot in his shoulder. Then he took hi shirt off to reveal a bandage on his shoulder. Proving my point.

"I'm ok... But it isn't about me. It's about you." he motioned for me to come closer.
I hesitantly walked closer to him.  I kept walking until I was close enough to feel the heat from off of his body.

"It is about you. You're the one that got shot."

"I got shot plenty of times. but you, one the other hand, baby. You are young and never in life thought about being in this type of life. You was shot at yesterday for the first time in your life. Then today someone else tried to shoot you. I don't want nothing to happen to you."

He wrapped his arm around my waist. I looked into his green eyes. "I don't want anything to happen to you either." I said.

We were quiet for a minute before he stood up. He looked down at me. "Kayla, your life is more important than mine."

"No it's not. No one's life is more important than anyone else."

"You're your parents precious jewel. I don't want to be blamed for something that happens to you. Or you getting blamed for something that happened."

"I don't care Don." I replied rolling my eyes.

"Aye," he lifted my head to look at him. "Look, I don't know what it is,  but I really care for Kayla. I don't want you to get hurt. That's all I'm saying."

"I know." I said stilling looking in his eyes. We sat there for a good minute before he kissed me. I kissed him back instantly.

He pulled back when my uncle came in the room. "Sorry to cut y'all love fest short, but we need to get out the hospital. Now." he said staring at us. He walked out. Don let out a groan.

I backed up and started to walk out the room.

"I didn't want to let go." he said. I turned around to faced him.

"What are you talking about?"

"The reason why I was out there when the whole thing went down with you and Melvin in the car, because I didn't want to let you go. I think I have feelings for you."