Step nine: Make Her Smile

-
Chapter nine
[STATUS: NOT EDITED]
-

"Turtles!" Joe yells, running into the underground aquarium.

I laugh and walk slowly behind her, stepping down the stairs and mumbling an 'excuse me' when necessary. I walk down through all the fish and starfish, until I see Joe smiling and pointing at the turtles.

"Look how cute, Justin!" She grabs my bicep and pulls me closer.

I laugh, "Almost as cute as you."

"Cheesy." She laughs and gently pushes her shoulder against mine. "but look!"

She points to two of the turtles, one has its heads on top of the others, almost as if they are cuddling.

"They are love turtles." She coos, almost giggling.

Her smile is almost the same as it used to be. Her eyes are a light brown, with green swirls around it. I'm the one making her happy- me. I'm the one making her laugh and smile.

She turns her head and looks over at the dolphins section. Her eyes widen then she pats at my arm and speed walks past some little kids to see the dolphins.

"Aw!" She cuddles her fists up to her mouth to hide her smile. "Can I live here?"

I laugh, "No."

"Why." She pouts her bottom lip out.

"Because then I would have to drive thirty minutes every day to see you." I say, watching the dolphins.

She head slowly turns over to me and I see her cheeks tint a light pink. "Everyday?"

"Everyday." I agree, smiling down at her.

"Can we go see the penguins now?" She asks, watching the dolphins.

"Yeah." I grab her hand. We walk up through the stairs and across the park to see the penguins.

"Hey, this isn't a date." She motions to our hands.

"Friends can hold hands." I defend myself.

"How many friends have you help hands with?" She raises her eyebrows, not believing me.

"There is a first time for everything." I say, winking at her.

She pulls her hand back, "You are rude."

"I'm taking you to see penguins!" I reason, laughing.

"You're right. I forgive you, but I'm still mad at you." She nods her head curtly and skips over to the penguins.

"I can take you for ice cream, would you forgive me?" I ask, raising an eyebrow and walking up behind her.

"But I'm paying."

I groan, "Are you always tho stubborn?"

She nods and kneels down on the ground. "Pretty much."

I watch as she smiles and points at all the penguins, she always notices little things about them. Like the baby cuddling with the parent and a heart shape in its fur. She's amazing.

"Ready?" I ask as she stands up and stuffs her hands into her jean pockets.

She nods and we walk, I watch as she takes small slow steps. Joe's eyes stare at the everything around her, she looks at everything as if it is the last time she will ever get to see it. She smiles at the little children who run by her and giggle when she waves.

We both order our ice cream and Joe shoves her money into the worker's hand before I can squeeze mine in. She smirks at me, almost teasingly, and allows a small laugh escape from her lips. I playfully glare at her while we take a seat at the outside tables.