Chapter 6.1 - Happiness and Strength

"Finally! A moment to myself." Imao smiled to herself. She had been busy with the morning chores but finished them quicker than usual. She took a stroll into the forest as she hummed a nice little melody. She arrived at the little creek from the day before. She stood still, closed her eyes and faced up towards the sky. The sun rays warmed her face. 'If only I could see it...' She smiled and continued walking around. She curiously searched her surrounding with her humming but found nothing of interest and continued her walk. She then remembered the young man from the previous day and the conversation they had. He seemed to have been troubled but talking to one another gave them both a sense of satisfaction. Imao hadn't had an intellectual conversation with anyone in a long time. She smiled to herself and continued to reminisce a little more as she walked alongside the creek.

---

After humming and walking around for about an hour, Imao sat down against a tree to rest. She leaned her head back against the big tree and closed her eyes. With every deep breath she took, she felt more and more relaxed...

"So, you're here." She woke up startled as a voice next to her echoed in her right ear. She was so surprised that she hadn't felt the person sit close by her meanwhile she was resting. She immediately turned towards them.

"Gaara?" She asked not remembering too well the voice she had just heard.

"Hmm?" He side-looked at her kinda funny, meanwhile he sat back against the tree she had done the same to.

"Oh... I didn't think you would come back here. You scared me - I didn't feel your presence." She felt a little embarrassed as she could sense that he expected her to be more aware of her surroundings, like she had the day before. He lightly smiled.

"So what brings you back here?" She asked as she recalled that he wasn't from the village.

"I will be staying in Konoha for another week or so... Unfortunately, there are some issues I must tend to here but I'm hoping all will go well and be done quickly." He looked at her to see how she would react to the news. Imao just gave a simple smiled,

"Well, you should make the best out of your stay then." He looked at her mellow expression and tried to analyze it. He wasn't sure if it meant anything but he was curious... maybe a little too curious.

"You don't seem glad." He blurted out then quickly thought, 'Why did I say that?' Imao had a baffled expression on her face.

"Should I be glad?" She clearly didn't understand the question and Gaara just shrugged it off.

"Nevermind. I was just thinking it would be nice to chat with you again, if you don't mind." He eyed her from the side again and waited for a response.

"Well, I apologize but I have errands today. Maybe you could come along and we could talk on the way to the city..." She sensed some aggravation as he interrupted.

"It's fine." He said coldly. Gaara stood up and started walking off.

"W-wait!" Imao got up quickly and stumbled in his direction. He stopped and turned around towards her, looking down at her as if she was wasting his valuable time.

"Maybe tomorrow in the morning we could converse again. Is that ok?" She looked up at him with a weak smile, hoping he'd agree.

"I don't think so." He said it so bluntly Imao almost whimpered.

"Oh... ok. I'll see you around then... maybe..." she hung her head, saddened that her new friend was being so harsh. Gaara turned away and continued walking slowly with a slight grin.