Chapter 3

• Dedicated to Angela Jackson~ Kayla's mom and the strongest of us all

CHAPTER 3

The next day had to be the worst. I had cried myself to sleep the night before, so my eyes were all red and puffy. I didn’t bother with makeup; I just threw on some black clothes and combed my hair. I, stupidly, put in my contacts and went downstairs.

My mom looked at me sadly. I could tell she pitied me, so I just looked away, not wanting it. I focused on eating and the news.

“Osama Bin Laden is dead.” Great, I thought. Another life lost. I looked back at my mom. She was still looking at me. LOOK AWAY! I screamed in my mind. She looked away. I must have mind powers, I thought. I almost laughed. Almost.

“Can I have my phone back?” I asked her. She looked up suddenly. I guess she wasn’t expecting me to speak. She nodded and handed me my phone.

The bus ride was torture. I didn’t know what to do. I was just trying not to cry. When I got to my high school, where I would wait to transfer buses, I met Chris.

Chris knew Kayla and skied with us when we were in seventh grade, even though he had transferred schools. We were still good friends and we would be going to school next year together. I could tell he didn’t know and I didn’t want to tell him. I had already told my almost brother Marc, and it was really hard. Josh could tell him.

I looked around, looking for Josh. I inhaled sharply when I saw him. He was a huge reminder of her. I missed her so much already. It was hard to believe this wasn’t just some big joke and that she would be at school today, happily joking and I would go up and punch her for making me cry, cause she had only been able to do that once before. Ugh, my head hurt from crying.

I tuned everyone out, just concentrating on my music. I saw the bus pull up and I ran to it. I sat down and I felt Josh slide in next to me. He put his arm around me and I bit my lip hard, trying not to cry. “Shhhh,” he whispered. “Are you okay?” I shook my head no. I was far from okay. I took a shaky breathe and looked out the window.

The bus ride there was short. I looked up to the sky. It was pretty and blue. I shook my head and walked inside with Josh and Simon. I saw Avisya and broke away from Josh. I hugged her tight and she started crying in my arms. I started crying too. I looked over at Zoe who was also crying. I hugged her too. I hugged everyone. The bell rang and I walked slowly over to my locker. My ex best friends (long story) came up to me.

“Kelsey, what’s the matter?” Taylor and Leandra looked genuinely concerned. Like a band-aid, just rip it off, I thought.

“Kayla’s dead. She killed herself yesterday.” And then, I walked away.

<><><><><><><><><><><><>

“Kayla was the best friend I’ve ever had and she brightened everyday with her on going attitude…” ~Josh C.

The song today is Remember When by Avril Lavinge. Thanks for reading.