Flashback

My pace was slow as I walked home from a worried day at school. I despised the fact that Jazz skipped the rest of the school day and the very thoughts of what she was doing scared me because of her dangerous choices. She would go diving with sharks, sky diving, or even bungee jump off the Empire State Building if she was allowed to. A shiver of dread creeped up my spine, what if Jazz wasn't alright? I would never forgive myself if she was.

I stood in front my home, imagining it was still all white, the windows weren't damaged, or that the garage doors weren't charred into an unattractive gray color. A flashback of that horrific day overtook my thoughts. The orange glow appeared through the curtains and darkness was everywhere. My dad opened the front door and slurred cautiously," Oh shit! The boats on fire." His voice slightly cracking to display the hurt in his heart. He absolutely loved that boat enough to believe it was the best thing he ever bought. I turned around only to find a moving dark shadow that was similar to mine in height, but when I looked to where the owner of the shadow was, there was no one there. The shadow didn't belong to anyone, but it was present and moving on its own.

When the flashback was over, I began to feel a throbbing pain engulf me. I felt as if there were a thousand daggers being pushed through my body. I clamped my eyes shut thinking to myself, What is happening? Mind over matter, Jennifer. I forced my heavy legs to the porch filled with annual flowers in different colored pots. I slowly began to move my hands to my chewed up ID badge, attempting to find the silver key that opened the door. Sweat was spilling from my forehead and soaked my hair and black collared uniform shirt. I opened the door, shuffled inside, and slammed the door shut. As soon as I was inside, I collapsed and entered a world of darkness.