Figment of the Past

"Jazz, you're stuck in the past. I was you a year ago. You're me a year later. You just blame yourself- or me- for what happened the night of the fire. Is it such a big issue? Apparently it ruined your life because now you're so different... Emotional even." I started to rant. Jazz was still distraught about the whole I am her, she is me thing. I didn't know what to say. 

"YOU. ARE. LYING. TO. ME." Jazz shouted. She tried to swing again, but missed. Hot, wet tears began pouring from her eyes making the whites turn bright red. Seeing my, literally, other half cry from frustration made my eyes a bit teary, but I promised I was going to be strong. 

"Jazz... You're blinded. You don't go to Hambrick anymore. You don't even talk to Mat. Cecilia is YOUR best friend. She's trying to help you in the best way that she can, but.. like I said, you're stuck in the past. If you let the night of the fire go... if you stop blaming yourself, I can leave finally.. and you can live this amazing life you have." I lowered my head. I didn't want to leave her, but I had to. I was just her memory. Someone created to take the blame. 

"I don't blame myself." She retored angrily, "I blame you." 

"I know that. That's why I'm here.. to take the blame." I sighed. She wasn't going to understand this easily, but I continued. "It isn't my fault. It isn't yours. It was beyond us." I closed the window behind me. It was the only way I could make her see it.

From the refelction on the window, I could see Jazz's frame, but not mine. I didn't have a reflection. She looked up and saw herself. When she tried to aim her knife at me, the knife's reflection would look as if she was cutting herself. Her eyes were expressionless, but I knew what she was thinking. She was in shock.

"I've gone insane...." Her voice trailed off. 

"Not yet. Just let me go." I told her in a tender voice.

She nodded unable to speak and dropped the knife. As she did, my vision blurred and my image faded away.