Chapter 3: It's The Big Day

Meredith's POV

The room was completely silent. Amelia just stared at me with her big eyes. While looking around I felt as if the world had paused and Amelia had her stone cold eyes fixated on me.

She started laughing, "Are you serious? Meredith, he has a crucial tumor and you want me to remove it?"

I opened my mouth but she continued speaking.

"I can't do that, I physically cant do that. Meredith I legally can't do that. He is my brother. We are family. Do you not know the hospital's policy?"

I started to think, "Do you really want anyone else cutting into his head? Amelia I don't know what to do. I'm lost okay? I haven't slept in ages; the kids have been with Alex, I can't remember the last time I had anything to eat. I have lost everybody I have ever loved; you cannot take him away from me. I wont let you. He will stay alive and will die when he is 102 years old in my arms. If you won't do this surgery then I don't think I could ever forgive you."

A tear dropped onto my cheek. I immediately wiped it not wanting to show any sign of weakness. Amelia's face seemed to get red with anger. She looked like she was about to burst into tears.

She turned around and took a deep breath in.

"You don't think I've lost anyone that I've ever loved? God Meredith, if anyone you should know that this world is screwed up. I had a baby, a baby with no brain. I'm a neurosurgeon Meredith and my baby had no freaking brain. I will not do this surgery and kill my own brother because you have some twisted idea that I can save him. He is all I have. He's it. You have kids. You have Alex. Derek is the only person that I have and he will not die on my table. If you never forgive me again for not doing this surgery that is damn all right because I don't need you. I need him. I'm not going to let you take him away from me. And that's final."

Amelia stormed out of the room sniffling.

I sat there puzzled. What was I going to do; my best shot at saving Derek was Amelia. How can I trust anyone else to cut into his skull?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I put myself back together and got up looking at my husband through the glass of the MRI room window. I took a deep breath in. While walking out of the room Owen walked by and stopped, "Dr. Grey, I need to have a word with you."

I tried to walk by but he stopped me, "Owen I can't do this right now. I am trying to find somebody to save my husband's life and I have no time to discuss anything else." As I tried to scoot past him he grabbed my arm and looked at me stone cold in my eyes.

With his deepest voice he whispered in my ear, "Do not ever talk to Amelia the way you did ever again, Dr. Grey."

I made him release my shoulder and walked out of the MRI room.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Where is Dr. Shepherd I need to have a neuro consult with her." I asked one of the workers at the front desk in the E.R.

He looked around the room and then down at his charts, "Dr. Grey, Last I saw her she was with Dr. Kepner. They were here a couple minutes ago, but it looks like they..." He paused and looked back down to his clipboard. "Dr. Shepherd has already scheduled a neuro consult with Dr. Kepner at 3:40." I looked at the clock, which showed the time was currently 3:58. "Where is the scheduled location?" I asked impatiently. "On call room 138." He spat out fast as if I was making him nervous. I turned around immediately and headed to the elevator to go find them.