Chapter Two

I got a bullet proof heart...

~Dave~

Dave never bothered to notice the world. Blocking it out with his headphones was the only thing he liked to do. He would always tease his sister, Rose. He'd say that the mere sound of her words gave him a horrendous migraine, but she would return the insult with some stupid lecture about his self esteem or some fucking thing like that. It was days like this, especially.

Why the hell do people stress over it.

The first day of school. Dave never understood why it was so important to some people. They get dressed up with perfect outfits, layed out from the night before.  Their naive smiles and giggles. The new kids who are scared out of their minds.

Its just a day...

Dave had science first, his least favorite class. Rose's too, he could tell.  She kept doodling and talking to herself. She seemed completely uninterested.  Every once and awhile he saw her eyeing a girl with short black hair in a green maxi skirt, but he decided not to say anything. 

Right before the bell rang, two kids ran into class.  Out of breath, the guy's face suddenly going red.

The fuck...?

He knew the girl, Jade Harley. They went way back.  Dave's known her since kindergarten, and they're still good friends.  Jade winked at him and sat down, the boy franticly tailing behind her. He was confused about her current situation so he just nodded. Dave pulled his headphones from his ears and waited for their teacher to arrive.

A tall, African American man soon walked to the front of the room. He had friendly brown eyes that studied the faces of each student.  "I am your science teacher, Professor Membrane!" His booming, low voice projected through the room. "This is going to be a difficult class, cadets!" As he talked he used weird hand jesters. "You are going to have to work hard! Study every night an-" Instead of listening, Dave examined his classmates.

He looked back over at the boy.  He had messy black hair, glasses and a goofy look on his face. He had these eyes that caught Dave's attention. A deep, beautiful shade of blue. Dave soon turned his attention to a boy who kept cursing at something under his breath. This one had a sweater and sweatpants on, obviously  not following the dress code.  Dave tried, he really hated the idea of just a boring button up shirt, and he tried to make it his own.  He wore necklaces and rubber bracelets and wrote on his hand all the time.  

"...project. Blah, blah, need partners, blah, blah, blah...."

Beside the angry dude, sat a girl with red sunglasses and a cane. She was grinning besides herself, doodling with crayons.  There was another girl behind her. This a girl kept poking her back. She had long black hair and glasses that Dave sworn he saw his grandpa wear.  She was missing one eye, making her look like a terrorist. 

"Davi-" Rose tried to warn Dave, but she was too late.

"Mr. Strider.  Are you in there?" Professor Membrane chuckled a hardy chuckle, then proceeded. "Ah, yes.  Good. " His kind eyes turned to John. "You are going to be working with John Egbert over there." Dave looked over and gave him a two finger salute.  John gave a weak smile and waved over to him.   The Professor smiled, then moved on to the next pair. 

"He was staring at you earlier." Rose said softly, sounding concerned. 

"Well I am  pretty damn fine." He tried to laugh off the weird vibe she was giving off. She just rolled her eyes in annoyance, he ignored it and went back to analyzing  the class.

"Rose Lalonde!" Professor Membrane seemed too happy for a Monday. Dave hoped he wasn't always going to be this energetic.

"You are going to be paired with Kanaya Maryam." He smiled at them.

Rose awkwardly waved at Kanaya, and she waved back, obviously unaware of how dazed Rose was.  Dave elbowed his sister as he bit back a smile.

"Don't.  Say.  A word." Rose warned. 

He scoffed. 

"Well, it seems everyone is paired up!" Membrane reveled at his handiwork. "Now..." He started to assign seats to the students. Dave hoped he wouldn't have to sit too close to the front.

John and Dave were put at the very back table to his relief. When they sat down John slid a piece of white paper over to Dave .

"It's my chumhandle!" 

Dave reached for the paper, but touched John's hand instead. Their eyes meet and time seemed to come to a halt. 

John's cheeks became flushed with red. He quickly adverted his eyes and shoved his hands in his pockets.

Those eyes...

"I-I don't know if you have one," He continued, still avoiding eye-contact, "but it's a good way to chat." He was a bit quieter now. 

"Yeah...okay" Dave looked back at the paper. "Thanks."

...they're so...so..

The bell rang, signaling that the class was officially over.

"Good-bye, Scouts!" Professor Membrane saluted. Jade looked over to John, as if signaling time to go.

...so fucking pretty.

"Pester me!" John cheerily said. He started walking out of the classroom but stopped at the doorway. John turned around and said, "Bye!" He smiled, and Dave couldn't help but smile too.