Chapter Six

~Dave~

Dave took a sharpie and wrote A Memoir on the cassette.

Oh my god, Dave. Are you fucking serious with this shit?

He cringed as he tucked the mix tape in his back pocket.

Why is everything so different now? Its strange, but..

John hadn't been answering the chat, so Dave got worried. His house wasn't too far, John had told him the address because they were going to hang out. Plus Dave had a knack for being dramatic. He thought why not surprise him. He was glad he did. The smile on John's face meant everything to him. John was the fire that kept Dave going.

Warm.

After their embrace, they lay on the grass, stargazing.

"Hey Dave..." John whispered.

Dave turned on his side, smiling at John. He had taken his glasses off, he didn't feel insecure around John without them like he usually did.

John looked over at him. Moving closer, resting his head on Dave's shoulder.

"That one right there." He pointing at the sky painted with stars. "It looks like a record."

"No John, that looks like a hippo."

"Are we even looking at the same constellation?"

By then Dave was looking into John's eyes. He moved closer, his heart rapidly beating. Their foreheads touched and John closed his eyes. Dave wrapped his arms around John and was about to kiss him. Their lips almost touched, but then... John's dad stepped out.

"Shit!"

John stood up and Dave ran back to his house as quietly as possible.

"Ah. Son, where were you?" Dave heard John's dad say as he was walking down the street. It was cold when he wasn't by John, so he stuck his hands in his pockets.

"You scared the dickens out of me. Come on in, I have cake."

Dave turned the block and ran the rest of the way home. As soon as Dave stepped in the door, Bro nodded at him, as to say, "That's my bro, go after your prince."

He was glad his brother supported him, but of course he did. Bro Strider was hella gay.

He went into his room, and sat down at his desk. He pulled out the mix tape he had made for John. It had Nirvana, Panic! At The Disco, Kanye West and various other artists. They were all songs they had listened to when they hung out. Songs they fell asleep to.

First was, When The Day Met The Night, which Dave thought described them perfectly.

He fell asleep listening to it, smiling.
------------

The next day John ran up to him smiling, and gave him a big hug. Jade waved from behind and Rose mouthed, "Called it."

Dave kissed his head, "Hey I made you this."

He slipped the mix tape into John's hoodie pocket.

They walked to class all together, Dave's arm around John.
------------

They didn't have their last class together, so they usually met by the soda machine. But this time it was different.

John wasn't there.

Dave heard a shriek, and then laughter. He turned to where the voices projected from.

Two guys were huddled over some whimpering kid on the ground. One was tall and bulky, obviously stronger than Dave, and the other was about Dave's build. He couldn't see who the poor guy was so he jogged over to get a better look.