Kidnapped

For as long as I could remember, I'd always try to play it safe, even when I knew I was doing something I shouldn't. The fear of my parents raft had made me miss so many opportunities that shape most teens, some for better, others for worse. They did it because they loved me, they wanted me to be safe, and above all, they didn't want me to do the crazy things they did as kids, but for once, I was going to make a change.

It was your average Saturday afternoon, my two-hour lunch break from my internship had just begun, my friend Alex was waiting for me in the next building. His family ran a party planning business that just oh so happened to be having an event at the place I was working, talk about luck!

He was nowhere to be seen in the other building, so I went to the front desk to talk to the lady there.

"Hey Candy." I greeted.

"Hi Tori, on break?" She asked sitting back in her chair.

"Yep, just waiting for my friend to show up so we can have lunch."

"Aw, that's nice."

Looking down into the display case in the desk, I noticed a book that I hadn't before.

"Is that 'The Giving Tree'?" Pointing to the green book in the back.

Opening the case, then checking the title, "It is! Have you read it?"

"I have! It was one of my favorite books as a kid!"

Handing me the book, she said, "I've never read it. You think I would with all the time I have here!" Laughing she looked at the cover.

"It's a wonderful book. Here, let me show you."

Leaning against the desk, I began to read her the story, half way in, Alex walked up to me, but I continued reading until the end, both of them listening, wrapped in the small tale.

"That was so sweet! Uh! Gosh!" Candy smiled, with a small shine in her eyes.

"I'm glad you liked it." Grinning, I handed it back.

"Ready for lunch?" Alex asked.

"Totally. I'll see you after lunch!"

"Okay! See you!"

We walked out of the building and began to walk down the path.

"So where do you want to eat?" He asked.

"Not sure, I can't actually 'allowed' to leave you know. Maybe you could pick something up then bring it back?"

"Nonsense! Come on, let's go out to lunch!"

"But I'm not suppose to leave!"

"Says who?"

"My parents!"

By that point, we had reached his car. "Let's break some rules."

"I can't!"

"Sure you can!" Opening his car door. "Live a little!"

Walking to the passenger side, I placed my hand on the handle.
"I really shouldn't."

"Of course you can." Sliding into his seat, I opened the door.
"I really, really shouldn't."

"Sure you should." Turning on the engine, he turned and smiled at me.

"I'm not suppose to leave!" Sitting in the passenger seat, I could feel my anxiety begin to kick in as I shut the door.