The Marines

It was an afternoon like any other. I was on my second walk with the dogs, which meant I could check the mail since it was after four. Listening to my 80’s music and not giving a care in the world to who might her me singing along, I took out our mail key, turned it in the lock, and then saw three pieces of mail inside.

        One was junk mail, the other a magazine, and the last, a navy blue card from the Marines. Why would the Marines be sending my family anything? My dad didn’t end up going into the air force. Oh no… What if this a draft? The news hasn’t been that great but it never is! Wait… whose name is on it. Oh my- … it’s… mine…

         Holding the piece of mail in my hands I thought, why would the Marines want anything to do with me? I’m just a kid! But no, that wasn’t completely true… My parents had just discussed my upcoming seventeenth birthday in May and how my dad wasn’t ready for his “baby girl” to turn eighteen in a year.

        Of course they would be sending me mail! I’m almost of age to join the army! It’s strange though; I’d never given much thought to being an adult so soon let alone joining the Corps…

        After realizing I had been standing there for an entire song staring at the navy blue card, I decided to stick it in my pants so my mom wouldn’t see. Something you have to understand is that my mom told both my brother and I early on that she’d rather us leave our country during war than let us join the army. She couldn’t see this. She’d just throw it away…

        Wait… why am I even holding on to this? The trashcan is right over there… I could just toss it now and be done with this… But… it couldn’t hurt to at least see it…

        Before I could changed my mind I walked the rest of the way home, let myself in, unleashed the dogs, then hurried to my room so I could take the card out of my pants.

        Once in the safety of my room with the door shut tight, I took the card, turned it over, and then read the back.

HOW DO YOU SEE YOURSELF?

… I’m not sure… Usually with a mirror I guess. Was the first thing that came to mind.

Taking the still new pocket knife my dad had gotten me for Christmas out of my jean pocket, I opened the two round pieces of clear tape that sealed whatever was in the card. After doing so, I closed my knife, returned it to my pocked, took a deep breath, and then opened the unknown.

INSPIRED TO HELP THOSE IN NEED?

Yes.

DRIVEN TO TEST YOUR DETERMINATION?

I guess… Maybe?

READY TO PROVE YOUR STENGH?

No, not so much, thanks.

CHALLENGE WHO YOU ARE AND EMBRACE WHAT YOU CAN BECOME.

Um… okay…

            Everything I listed above was in the card with a picture of a girl around my age wearing some pretty cool looking clothes with an interesting expression on her face. I wonder if she got paid for her picture? Maybe she’s in the Marines already. She most have been “inspired” and “driven to test her determination” and “prove her strength as well as “challenge who she is and embrace what she could become.”

            Opening the card there was a picture of six soldiers running in some sort of drill.

1. The leader of this pack. Female, looked a bit mean.

2. The girl behind her. Looked… happy and satisfied.

3. A guy with an expression that seemed to say, “Why am I even here?” or a look of confusion. Perhaps it was both.

4. A guy who looked like he had trouble breathing. That would be me.

5. A guy kind of blurred in the back. He looked like he was working out. Which of course, he was.

6. A girl mostly hidden behind #3 but she seemed fine.

        Now that I was done staring at the photo, I moved my eyes to read the words below.

SEE WHAT’S ALWAYS BEEN INSIDE.

Proving yourself as a Marine proves everything. Make you determination and your strength known.

That would be cool…

Take the first step to joining the Marines. It won’t change who you are.

I highly doubt that.

It will change who you become.

Whoop. There it is.

Start fulfilling your potential: fill out the attached card, call (the number they listed) or visit us online (where they are online).

-MARINES
THE FEW. THE PROUD.

            Well, as inspiring as this all was, I don’t think I’ll be joining the Marines anytime soon or ever, thanks. But I will look at the attached card.

TAKE THE CHALLENGE. PROVE IT ALL.

Usually I would say, “Challenge accepted!” and ask for a fist bump from someone, but I rather not do this one.

Complete and return this card today. Send me the About the Corps opportunity book and my choice of: dog tags, T-shirt or wristband. Offer expires: 03/31/2015

As lovely as this offer is, I rather not sign my life off for a t-shirt.

        Listed below was some personal info to write out and to check off my choice of Marine gear with another card that said,

INVITE A FRIEND TO TAKE THE CHALLENGE WITH YOU.

Sure. I’ll keep that in mind.

        Now that I’ve written this thing out and have the cards next to me, I’m actually tempted to fill it out. Not so much because I want to join, but because I want to learn more about it for my friends that will eventually end up there some how. Everyone ends up having someone leave to their country’s army, so why shouldn’t I know more about it? Besides… I do want those dog tags…

            Not that I think I’ll ever join the Marines or any form of America’s army, but I would just like to take a moment to thank all the men and women who step up to protect our country. Please don’t get me wrong, I truly am grateful, and hey, if you’re a teen who’s thinking of joining, by all means, go for it, I won’t tell you not to. You just have to understand that the army and “discipline” aren’t for me.