Chapter 3

The moment I stepped out of the dark alleyway where I lived, the sun hit me with it's warmth.

It was a beautiful day, warm with a breeze. My hair blew behind me, giving me the most relaxing feeling I felt at the moment.

I looked at my surroundings. There were people in suits and ties carrying briefcases and coffees bustling about, trying to get to work as fast as they can.

They didn't even notice me! But I don't blame them. Other than the fact that I had terribly messy hair, I looked like a completely normal teenager.

I had on a T-shirt with the words "Sexy and I Know It" printed on it, and a pair of old, ripped jeans.

Some people gave me dirty looks, but no one said anything about me or anything.

I realized I would never be like them. I would always be living in a dark alley, living like an animal.

Whatever. Sparky and I ran across the street filled with traffic. Some cars honked at us, but they weren't moving anyways. I'm kinda used to the noise now. So was Sparky. Now that he's older, he's quit barking at the cars each time they honked.

Once we crossed the busy street, we turned left and continued on the sidewalk. This was my favourite street because it's where the people like me lived. And they were very kind.

I said hello to Drake, an old man with a grey beard who begged for money most of his toothless life, Nathan, a cute boy who was my age who played the violin beautifully for money, and Jeff, or as I call the 'Wizard' because he knew how to do magic.

Finally, we arrived at Tim Hortons. I don't have money so, no, I can't buy anything here. Instead of walking in, I hid behind the garbage cans while Sparky and I waited for our breakfast.

What do I mean when I say 'our breakfast'? Well, we actually wait for the Waster.

The Waster is the nickname I gave to this woman that supplies our breakfast. She always leaves the cafe with a medium sized coffee and a bagel everyday.

Anyways, as I wait for the Waster, I scavenge through the trash. I find three Styrofoam cups which could come in handy, so I stacked them up and decided to bring them home after breakfast.

I felt a nudge from Sparky who pointeldy looked at the doors of the cafe that swung shut behind the Waster. "Good boy," I said, patting him on the head.

She was holding her usual coffee but instead of a bagel, she was holding something else. I've heard people call it a donut. She took two sips of coffee and bit into her snack before she left it on a nearby table. What a waste of food, I thought. But at least she leaves us breakfast.

Me and Sparky ran over to the table and I grabbed the food. I took a big gulp of coffee and burned my tongue. I coughed as I felt the hot coffee scorch my throat. It felt nice.

I looked at the donut. Now that I was holding it, I could see there was no hole in the middle and that the top was covered in chocolate. I bit into the donut.

It. Was. Delicious. And better yet, there was cream inside. It was the best thing I've had in what felt like forever.

I was planning to eat the whole thing when I remembered I had a dog to feed. I sighed. I took of the lid on the cup and blew on the hot drink to cool it down a little. Then I set it down for Sparky who gladly drank it as I finished half of the donut. The other half I gave to Sparky as I finished the coffee.

We had to move before someone spotted us and freaked out, so after breakfast, we headed home.