Chapter 11

When I wake up, the pain is gone. Wow, that was fast. Probably wasn't such a harsh beating. 

Sparky was still on my lap, but awake. He was panting, like he'd just run a mile. I never understood why dogs alway had to pant, whether they just woke up or just finished eating, it doesn't matter. They're always panting.

I slowly got up from my extremely uncomfortable position and checked the time on the screwed up watch. Okay, I slept for a half hour, just like I planned. Now, I gotta go meet Riley. Yay.

I stood up to stretch and Sparky did the same. We were ready to head out.

But first, I needed to check myself. I pulled out the crappy mirror, and looked at the girl staring back at me. Dull eyes, messy hair, and a few small bruises. Yikes, I'm a mess. Whatever.

I pulled out an old leash from the Box of Stuff that I almost rarely use, but if I'm going to meet Riley, I want to look like a normal person walking her dog. 

I hooked the leash under his collar and we head out. 

As usual, no one looked at us specifically. No one pointed out I looked like a walking corpse, no one pointed out that my dog stank, nothing. They just carried on. 

We walked out of downtown and onto the street that lead to the cottages. I tried to stay clear of the blue cottage so I walked on the opposite side of the road. But, when I passed, nothing seemed unusual. Good. 

Once I got to the park, I had a few minutes to kill. I walked around the park a little, and let Sparky go and wander on his own. 

Eventually, Sparky came back with a tennis ball. A tennis ball? What the hell do we need that for?

He dropped the ball in front of me and stared up at me expectantly. I kicked it away, and went to go sit on a bench. 

But Sparky came back with the ball. I groaned. "How is this useful?" I ask, picking up the slobber covered ball. 

Sparky barked in response, and nodded towards a young man throwing a frisbee. The frisbee flew through the air until a husky caught it in his mouth. 

Oh. Sparky wants to play catch. So, it's not only me who wants to fit in. He wants to be like the other dogs, just like I want to be like the other teenagers. 

I walked over to where there were no kids and threw the ball. Sparky caught it, expertly. Okay, fun's over.

I began to make my way back to the bench, when Sparky ran up at me with the ball again. I laughed. "Again?" 

I threw it further this time and watched Sparky chase after it. This was actually kind of fun.

We threw the ball around a bit more, when I felt a tap on my shoulder. "You got a dog?"

I spun around. It was Riley. Oh. "Hi Riley," I said. 

She hugged me. What? Why'd she hug me? We only met each other like.. yesterday. Okay. I just hugged her back. 

Then, out of nowhere, Sparky broke up our hug and dropped the tennis ball at my feet. For the billionth time now. Riley laughed, and picked up the ball, but she dropped it the moment she felt how wet it was.

I kicked the ball away from us and smiled. "Yeah, that's my dog," I said, answering her previous question.

"She's adorable."

"Um, he."

She laughed. "Same thing."

Not really, but okay.