Chapter 9

Obviously, I didn't go straight home. I still had to look for stuff. Stealing was out of the question. I hate interacting with other people, I mean, they're full of surprises. I'd be like talking to another human being and then BOOM I'm told I have a sister. 

I tried to not think about it. I mean, what if she really was my sister and I totally blew her off? Or what if she was actually crazy and needed help and I just left her? 

I pushed all those thoughts behind me and kept looking for anything useful. I found an iPod with earphones. Usually, they're broken, but this one was in awesome condition and even had 500 songs on it. 

I plugged in the earphones and fell in love with the music streaming into my ears. It helped a lot, drowning out my thoughts and the rest of the world. 

I also found a worn out sweatshirt with the words "Pierce the Veil" on it. Whatever that's supposed to mean. 

I found a lot of clothes in the dumpsters and in between buildings. And, lucky me, I also boots that were MY SIZE. Usually, I'd find shoes but it's very unlikely to find them in my size. I'm not sure why but they're always too big or small on me. 

Soon, the sky started to grow pink, and I figured it was time to go meet Sparky at the building. With a full duffel bag, I began to make my way there.

The abandoned building was covered in graffiti. I've always wanted to try graffiti, it kind of fascinates me. But I don't have a lot of time for fun.

I climbed the stairs to get to the roof to find Sparky already there, the lunchbox open in front of him. I smiled, and I could smell food. 

"Hiya, boy," I said. He came at me panting, a smile on his face. I ruffled his fur and went over to see what our meal was today.

It wasn't much. Just a sort of half eaten pizza slice. But it's better than nothing, right?

I sat down and took a bite out of the pizza and gave the rest to Sparky, who put his head on my lap. I told Sparky about my day as we watched the sunset.

I told him about the weird guy in the morning, the creepy woman in the small blue cottage, Riley who I was going to meet again tomorrow and Darla, my supposed sister.

Sparky must've dosed off. I took the iPod again and listened to more music. I had fallen in love with this one song: Paralyzer by Finger Eleven. I listened to it on replay until I dosed off.

I guess it was a really long day because when I woke up, Sparky was gone and it seemed like it was the middle of the night. Sparky must've already left for home. He was a smart dog.

But now I was alone at night in downtown. And this could be really dangerous. The area I was in was surrounded by bars and sketchy looking places. So at night... well, it wasn't very safe.

My duffel bag was still here, but Sparky must've taken the lunch box. I picked the bag up and made my way off the rooftop. 

I tried to walk behind the clubs and bars but that really didn't do any good. There were always people making out there, and getting naked. They didn't even notice me.

When I finally got out onto the main street, I felt a little safer. But it was still pretty quiet. Which was weird, considering this was downtown. Whatever.

It would take me maybe twenty minutes to get home. Yay. I was pretty terrified that someone would start following me or something.

And then I heard it. The clicking of heels. I looked behind me, but no one was there. I was probably imagining my fears. I just have to not think about being followed.