Chapter 5

I don't know when or how I lost the cop, but I got home without trouble. I was exausted, but relieved all the same. As I had expected, Sparky was waiting for me.

I layed back onto my best friend as I stroked his golden fur. He was very lovely. He smelled, and was completely dirty, but to me, he was beautiful.

Believe me, if I could marry a dog, Sparky would be that dog.

As I was relaxing, I felt a sudden chill. Fall was coming and soon. I am so screwed. I haven't prepared at all for the cold seasons. If I don't get ready for the chills of Toronto, I'm going to freeze to death.

I got off of Sparky, and began rummaging through the box full of things, looking for my watch. I checked the time on it. I had learned that the watch was an hour early, which meant it was nearly 10 o'clock, not 9.

We had two hours before lunch. Yes, I am very exact when it comes to my schedule.

I found the lunch box from nay years ago, and the cardboard sign I made.

The lunchbox had a string tied around the handle, and the other end of the string was meant to be tied around a collar so that Sparky could drag it along.

We usually find Sparky a new collar every month. Our latest is the worst. It was pink with sliver stones on the edges, and the name Princess was written in faded silver letters. Sparky has learned to deal with the ridiculous collar, so it's all good.

I beckoned Sparky to come over to me and pulled the collar over his head. Then I gave him the cardboard sign, which said Homeless dog and girl want food with a smiley face. It was written in my messy hand-writing with a black Sharpie, but you could still read it.

Sparky took the sign in his mouth. "Okay," I say. "Let's practice."

Before Sparky goes off in search of food, we always practice, just in case. I always pretend to be someone else, and Sparky is, well, Sparky.

"Go," I tell him. He walks away from me and I gather my character. I follow him to the end of the alley, and put on a fake British accent.

"Oh, hello," I say. Sparky stops in front of me. "You are just adorable."

I pretend to read the sign and pretend to look sympathetic. "Oh, poor you," I say. "How about a sandwich?"

At the word sandwich Sparky drops the sign and drags the lunchbox over in front of him. Then, being the smart dog he is, he opens it.

That skill took us almost an entire year to master, and it was worth it.

I put my imaginary food into the box and Sparky closed it, like a pro. He barked a thank you. I smiled, proud as always, patted his head, and walked away.

I turn around to watch Sparky to pick up the sign in his mouth again and walk up and down the end of the alley.

Once again, I cam up to him. But this time, I held a photograph of a police officer and held it in front of my face.

"Hey, stop!" I yell in a deep voice.

Sparky knows exactly what to do. He drops the sign and sprints to the very end of the alley, nearly crashing into the brick wall covering the end.

"Good boy!" I hollered. He padded back, head held high. He seemed proud.

I put the photo back into the pocket of my torn jeans and go back to the box to give Sparky a treat.

Sparky's eyes grew wide in excitement. I rarely give him treats, considering we can only find so little.

Sparky began nibbling it, savouring his award.

As he was eating, I put the watch into the lunchbox. It has an alarm set for noon so Sparky knows exactly when to get home. Of course, he doesn't need it since he will always come, back but just in case.

Once Sparky had finished eating, I took his big head in my hands so that he could look at me as I speak.

"Winter, boy," I remind him. "Winter's coming, so you have to get as much food as you can, in case we can save some." I kiss his nose. "I love you. Now, go."

He licked my nose before walking out of the alley.

I watched as the sun hit his golden coat and he turned the corner, disappearing from my vision.

Now I was all alone, in a dark alley. I went to the box and grabbed my duffel bag. I carried it around with me so I can shove whatever junk I can find in it.

I headed out into the sunlight and glanced around. There was a slight chill, but I liked it on my bare arms. It felt nice to have some wind after the hot summer.

I usually just wander around and try to look casual as I scope for things that could come in use.

I have to act like I'm not a homeless girl, who doesn't even know her own name.