Chapter 14

NIALL'S POV

I step out of the shower, all traces of last night's visit to the club gone. I throw on a plain black tee and a pair of jeans.

I walk over to the bed where Britney lays still under the covers, her eyes glued to her phone. I sit there awkwardly in silence.

"I'm still mad at you, but I'm gonna at least make an effort to talk today." I say.

She looks up from her phone and shrugs.

"Kay."

I lay down and sigh.

"You know, I just don't understand why you get that defensive when all I want to do is help you." she pipes up.

"Britney, you know me. I'm not the smartest person in this world. When I smoke, it relieves me from all the shit that I try so hard to forget."

"But why can't you at least put in the effort to walk away? You rarely ever smoke... why do you keep going back?"

"I rarely ever smoke because I DO walk away. But you need to understand that I've been doing this since I was 13. It'll never change."

"Yes it will, Niall. Stop that."

"No... it won't. They've tried to stop me. Believe me. It won't work."

"They? Who's they?"

"Just... just stop talking about it."

I turn my head away and bite my lip. I'm not in the mood for any of this. The "they" who I was talking about are my parents. I grew up a messed up life. I always made the wrong decisions. My parents were the only ones there to stop me, but it came to the point where it was too late to change. I was stuck with that life forever. If changing wasnt an option back then, it sure as hell isn't today.

"So, what's the plan for today?" Britney asks.

"Get dressed."

"We're are we going?"

"Just get dressed."

"Damn. Calm down." she mutters, getting out of bed.

Once we're all ready, I pick up Hailey and walk out of the room. Britney clings onto my arm like she always does when we walk through this hallway. I break free from her grip, and she awkwardly follows behind us. I don't understand why it's so important to do that.

"We're going to Times Square." I finally let out.

Her eyes brighten.

"I've always wanted to go there!"

"Yeah."

She attaches herself back onto me and I just sigh, rolling my eyes.

We walk down the busy sidewalk, impatient to get to our destination.

"Daddy, are we almost there?" Hailey asks, biting my shoulder.

"Yep, just a few more blocks."

The sun is shining high and there's people everywhere.

And I mean everywhere.

I chose a bad day to walk.

Britney's phone goes off and her expression immediately changes when she reads the text. She moves closer to me, intertwining her fingers with mine. I feel her shaking a little, but I don't bother to ask why.

BRITNEY'S POV

I look down at my phone and see something I never would have expected.

Corey: heyy Britney. ;)