| CHAPTER 4 |

Chapter 4

Really?

Really?!

If my current situation was not at its worst, faith went and reintroduced Carl into my presence. My face scrunched up in disgust, I took a step away from him.

"Oh? This must me the infamous Carl." Jess stepped forward, a vindictive smile spread across her face.

Carl looked at her. His eyebrow arched in wonder. I guess trying to figure out who she was and what she was referring to.

"What do you want?" I hissed.

He held his hand up in defense, suggesting that he meant no harm. I was not afraid of him. More afraid for him. I looked at his right hand, searching for the scar that Jason might have left when his fingers nearly crumbled in Jason's grasp.

"I'm not here to touch you, or hurt you or..." He gulped. "Kiss...you."

Jess chuckled, clearly amused by his attempt. I scowled at her. I didn't find it funny. She quickly turned her laugh into a cough.

"It's been a while."

"Probably not long enough." Faith could not introduce him in a few more years? Like 60 years from now?

"Look. I'm very sorry about my behavior. It was very childish I have to say." You don't say. "I really wish I never did it. Seriously."

Looking at him, I was not sure if I should accept it or tell him to shove it up his ass. I prefer the second one.

"Oh wait, here, I have something." He reached into his back pocket and pulled a small laminated card. He handed it to me. Jess quickly snatched it from his extended hand.

"What is it?" I shot Jess a look as I questioned Carl.

"It's to my gym I opened."

"Are you calling her fat?" Jess tilted her head slightly, fire burning in her eyes as she watched Carl carefully.

"No, No." His hands raised in defense. "It-it's just more of a boxing and fighting gym. There is absolutely nothing wrong with her weight. She looks great."

"She looks great huh?" Jess questioned him. I could tell she was teasing him. She enjoyed making him sweat.

"I mean, its-it's just s-something that-you know-"

"So it's a fighting gym?" I intervened. It was a little amusing but I was tired of watching his face redden in nervousness.

"Uh yeah. Tae kwon do, karate, kickboxing, yoga." He cleared. "It's very popular. Something to do in the spare time too you know."

"Do you train?" Jess questioned.

"Yeah. There are other trainers as well. All professionals so you will see results pretty quickly."

"Blah blah other trainers yeah, so if we come and train...with you. Are we able to, you know, fight you?"

"Well yeah. Hand to hand combat is our key aspect."

"You hear that Aniyah, we get to kick his ass." She twirled the card around her freshly manicured fingers.

"I would not say that." He rubbed his hand across the back of his neck. "You can try."

"Hmm we may take that offer." She smiled.

"I hope so." Reaching onto his arm strap, he looked at his phone that was glowing with an alert. "Well I have to go ladies. I hope to see you two."

"Of course." Jess responded.

He slipped his headphones back into his ear and took off to finish his, what I presume was a run.

"Trash it." I began walking down the street toward the restaurant.

"What?" She looked at me. Her face soured as she questioned me.

"Trash it. If we go, someone dies. And it surely will be Carl." I summed up. "Jason would probably rip him to shreds."

"Aww." She pouted as she silently read the red font on the card. "But I wanted to kick his ass. At least get out the house for a minute or two."

"I rather not." I walked into the restaurant with Jess not too far behind.

*****

The house was cleaned spotless. The damaged furniture was replaced and the gore was washed away from existence.

Walking into my mother's home, I could smell the pine-sol she would use on a warm spring day, turning the house into a new place. She would slip on her yellow gloves and loose t-shirt and sweatpants. Tying her hair into a messy bun to keep away from her face, she would clean this house from top to bottom.

It was as if she was never gone. It was as if she would yell from her bedroom, asking me to bring her a bowl of butter pecan ice cream. I would bring her a bowl. Not before taking a scoop or two into my mouth.

The pack wanted me to feel better about coming here. They wanted me to feel relaxed, comfortable, and hopeful.

Jason had requested that two pack members tidy up the place. Immaculate at its finest. He made sure they did an exceptional job before I returned here.

However it's still not the same without her.

"Give me a minute." I requested. Brent leaned against the wall as Aaron fiddled with some things on the table.

I ran up the staircase. My eyes trained on my mother's closed bedroom door before I walked into my bedroom. Reaching under my bed, I pulled my laptop. I stuffed it into the case, tossed the strap over my shoulder before I ran downstairs so we could return to the house.