Chapter 20 |

Carl slipped out of the room. For some insane reason, he seemed contented enough to leave me alone within the weapon room.

As I sat down in one of the waiting chairs, I looked around, taking in the various pieces that were at his disposal.

Small guns. Large guns. Pistols. Machine guns. Grenades. Bombs. Swords. So many other pieces I could not name even if I tried. So many weapons that could take down even the largest prey; pieces that could take down the largest werewolf.

With my heart drumming through my body, I could not help but feel a little concern as he stepped through those doors. Carl returned. With two beverages in his hand, he placed them in front of me before me sat down in the chair just across from mine.

The silence was intense; dense discomfort that would require the sharpest knife to rip through.

I was not sure where to start. I just knew I could not allow him to know that I knew of the other world.

"What is this room? It's like a place made for war." I looked at him with a questioning look on my face.

I swallowed hard as I picked up my beverage to drink. He was a hunter. Hunters were known in the supernatural world and not in the friendliest way.

"Our largest arsenal room."

"There are others?" I questioned.

"Three within this building. A few more around town."

"Why?" I asked. "Are you preparing for something?"

"Not exactly." He chuckled. "But we are always prepared for the unexpected."

"Oh." I looked around in hopes of avoiding his eyes that searched me for a reaction.

"This is...weird."

"I'm pretty sure we have seen weirder."

He picked up a frozen latte before he sipped it.

"I'm not sure what you mean." I played coy.

"You are insanely predictable." He laughed.

"I'm just...confused."

"About what? About my title as a Hunter or the fact that you are not the only one that is familiar with the supernatural world?"

"Supernatural?" I asked as I shook my head in denial. "Like ghost?"

"Really?" His face twisted up before boredom appeared across his face.

"Really what?"

"Do you really continue to play stupid even after I admit to you what I do?"

"You hunt."

"What do I hunt?" He pressured as he leaned forward.

"You said supernatural." I shrugged nonchalantly. "So that is what you do."

"You never answered me when I asked where your mother was." He quickly switched the subject.

He was creating pressure. He wanted me to slip up and admit to him that I was indeed a part of this hidden and also dangerous world.

"Like I said, she is out of town."

"Hm?" He continued to ask. "Her vehicle is still in town."

"There are other ways out of town."

"Interesting."

"Interesting?" What did he mean by that?

"Oh nothing. It was just funny that her place of employment said she was hospitalized. However according to hospital records, she is not there."