|CHAPTER 11|

It had only been a day but I could see the tension building up in Zeiden. He was becoming a window. It was almost obvious to see that he was hiding something in that thick skull of his.

He was fidgety. When spoken to he was nothing but a scrambled mess. Eye contact with him was limited and that weird sense of humor was gone alongside his sarcasm. I could admit that it was quiet but it was not right. He was attracting some concerns which I could not have.

"Can I get you anything?" A woman approached my booth. Her smile was drawn on but her eyes screamed of exhaustion. I could see how beat she was.

"Um can you give me a moment?"

"Of course. Take your time." I could hear the relief in her voice. She turned and walked off, pacing until she made it to an empty stool to rest her feet before her work would begin again.

The door opened. His eyes shifted around the diner before he saw me. He fixed his shirt, his eyes wandering before he took a seat across from me.

He did not speak. He barely even looked up at me before I slid him a menu.

"My treat." He nodded before he looked over the small menu.

The waiter returned. She pulled her notepad and pen and scribbled down our orders before she stepped behind the main counter.

"You are making shit obvious." Rubbing my temples, I jumped right into the problem.

"What? What are you even talking about?"

"You are walking around the damn house like you put more dye into Maya's shampoo." I leaned in closer, my voice low in a whisper. "I know that is not the case since you two are fucking."

"Hey hey hey." Zeiden tried to shut me up. He was panicking. "Why the hell do you have to say it like that?"

"Because my patience is growing thin with you." I grudged.

"How do you even know about me and her?"

"I'm not stupid." I grinned. "I can tell you about a lot of crap that is going on in that damn house."

Zeiden fixed the collar of his shirt before he sipped his water.

"Water with lemon?" I pointed.

"Yeah well a damn bottle of vodka is not accessible now is it?" He confirmed.

He was pressured, pulled into a secret that I was too damn shellfish to leave him out of. I slipped from the booth. Digging into my pocket, I pulled a few bills to cover the preparing food that I was not planning to stick around to enjoy.

"Come on."

"Where are we going?"

"Somewhere that serves more than water with fruit."...

Zeiden rubbed his chin before he flagged down the busy bartender.

"What can I get you fellas?" She leaned on the counter, eyeing us flirtatious like in hopes of getting her tips for the night.

"Vodka on the rocks." Zeiden huffed. "Matter of fact, hold the rocks."

I laughed at him.

"And you big boy?" She turned her attention to me.

"Rum and coke. Shot of vodka on the side." I confirmed. I was going to need something to help explain this messy situation.

She stepped away and returned with our drinks in no time. Zeiden, finding his drink a need, quickly gulped his drink without a moment to spare. Before the bartender could go far, he signaled for another.