|CHAPTER 13|

"So what is this meeting about?" Zeiden pushed and shoved through thick tree areas.

"I'm hoping to find out." I didn't have much of an answer to give him.

Truthfully, I was just as lost as he was. I was uncertain as to why he wanted to finally meet me however I found this meeting well overdue.

"I remember this place." Zeiden slowed at the bottom of the mount. He glanced up at the peak of the hill, the sight obviously bringing back memories.

"Cabin." I exhaled.

"I came here to speak to you when Aniyah was taken by Kane." I nodded in agreement. The same cabin she was taken from.

It was a safe haven and also a place I found fit to meet at. Secluded and isolated from the rest.

We walked up the hillside. Our voices, our moves, quiet enough to go unheard. This meeting was planned however we knew to never let our guards down. Zeiden followed closely behind as we made it up to the cabin porch.

I opened the door, finding myself face to face with complete and utter darkness. It was the stench that made me aware of who and what was waiting for us inside.

They never spoke. Instead, it waited as if anticipating something in return.

"Are we here to do business? Or are we here play hide and seek?" I had to ask in wonder.

Suddenly, there was a whisper, a low yet catching whisper that spoke to me and only me from the darkness.

"Zeiden."

"What?" Zeiden stood guard at the door. I could tell by his response that the low whisper could not be heard by his ears.

"Can you wait for me outside?"

"The hell? Hell no." Zeiden quickly refused.

I didn't have much time or energy to argue with him. I just needed him for once to listen to a command without an argument in response.

"Zeiden!" I kept my eyes forward. "Can you please wait outside?"

I know Zeiden wanted to refuse again. I know he wanted to go against my wishes. I assume noticing that I needed to speak with the covenant leader alone, he finally listened. Almost skeptical about actually leaving me alone, Zeiden finally began to comply.

"I will be right outside this door." He noted.

"Okay."

"I mean right outside." He gestured the door, confirming his whereabouts just in case this meeting take a turn.

"Okay. I got it."

With doubt circulating in his eyes, he stepped outside of the cabin before he closed the door behind him.

"Will the lights be turned on?" I asked. I prefer to see the person whom I would be conducting the meeting with.

"I prefer to keep this conversation strictly verbal. My appearance does not matter."

"Hideous?" I questioned with a smirk.

"If you say so." I could hear the amusement in his voice.

"I was quite surprised to know that we will not be communicating through your assistants any longer."

"I thought you would like to hear it from the source."

I stared at the silhouette that sat in front of me, watching me. I could admit I was not comfortable conversing with someone I could not see clearly however I needed some answers and if this was the only way to get it, I had to deal with it.