| CHAPTER 24 |

What did you tell them?"

"Nothing important." I informed Zeiden, confirming our secret.

"Did you text them?" Zeiden slipped on his shirt.

"I told them I had some information. They are on their way."

"Ok." Zeiden nodded.

"What am I doing?" I asked doubtfully as I stared out over the back patio.

"Something stupid." Zeiden leaped down off the patio. "As usual."

He took off running. With little effort and a racing mind, I followed him out and into the trees to set up...

I had others surround the barriers, spreading out evenly to capture a much larger area of ground.

Zeiden remand with me, even when I disapproved of it.

I thought his skill; his assets would be needed elsewhere however he thought being by my side would be much more necessary.

I sat on the lowest branch of the sturdiest tree that lived deep inside of the thickest part of the woods. With one leg hanging low and the other propped up on the jagged branch, I watched as Zeiden made himself comfortable at the root of the same tree.

He remand silent at the moment; a moment I knew would be broken sooner or later once the silence got to his head.

"This is crazy." Zeiden's voice confirmed his disagreement for my choice of doing this.

After plucking a branch from the tree's head, I found myself laughing.

"When have I ever been logical?"

With lengthened nails, I began to tend to the branch I had taken from the tree. Bark peeled from the branch, crumbling on to the ground below as I carved the end to my liking.

"Never." He chimed in.

"But it's hard for me to ignore my instincts."

"Your instincts are crap too." Zeiden swayed his hand back and forth to brush away the shards of bark that fell at his side.

"My instincts are accurate." I grinned. "Told me when you were sneaking out and about at night. By the way, how are you and Maya doing?"

Zeiden hushed me. His head whipping from left to right, confirming that no one else was nearby before he began to beg me to skip the subject all together.

"Haven't been caught in public yet I see."

"Just...drop it."

He grew paranoid; the topic creating a look in his eyes I could not describe. A look I have never seen in him; a look that I found to be interested in.

"Trouble in paradise?"

I plucked the branch toward Zeiden, watching as he caught the miniature spear I had carved by hand before I picked a new branch from the tree.

"Just...no."

I could see the plea in his eyes. I could hear it in his voice. The road that led to the rising topic was one he wanted to wean away from. Any sane person would. Any logical person would find the subject intense and would turn away. Sadly for him, I was not one of those people.

"Are you going to tell me?" I asked with a boost of base in my voice. "Or should I ask her?"

Zeiden pushed to his feet. In a rage, the color in his eyes transitioning to confirm his anger, he urged me to keep the conversation where he wanted it to be. Quiet and also private. Not in fear, but with interest to know, I promised I would keep the conversation private but only if he shared with me what really bothered him.