Chapter Seventeen

Brin's POV

I looked up at Kristoph, my cousin, as he tried to teach me how to control the fire element. Sweat poured off of my body because, c'mon, it's fire. 

"Don't play with the fire, Brin," he said, causing me to roll my eyes as he chuckled. "You need to command it. Focus. Use your mind to tell it what to do, to bend it to your will."

Wiping the sweat off of my forehead, I nodded and opened my palm. A ball of fire slowly expanded and I took a deep breath. Alright you ball of fire, move to the left.

I smiled when it did, even if just barely. The smile was immediately wiped off my face when it jerked and suddenly came flying at my face. Kristoph's hands flew up and it stopped just an inch from my face. I blinked and tried to prevent the panic I felt from flowing through the mate bond. 

Brin!

Crap, I was too late. Anger swamped him and I held up a finger to my cousin as he raised a brow at me. Nico, calm down, I'm okay.

You were scared. Where are you? 

I was scared, you're right, but I'm a-okay.

I can't live like this anymore. It's been two months.

I know, I'm sorry. I need more time, please Nico.

Either you come home, or I go to you.

My eyes widened at the determination in his voice. I felt hands grip my arms and Kristoph's voice was muddied in the background. Nico's presence in my head became overwhelming as he sifted through my mind. 

Nico, stop. I won't forgive you if you don't stop picking through my mind, and get out of my head right now.

I'm going to find you, Brin. Even if you hate me, I need you next to me.

A pounding ache started in my head and a strange energy flowed over me. My body went limp and I was scooped into my cousin's arms before I could hit the ground. Shouts sounded over my head and I was rushed through the castle to the infirmary.

Kristoph hissed as my skin grew hot and he dropped me, only for me to be suspended mid-air. A purple glow emanated from me and, across the room, a slow pulsing purple orb grew. I thrashed around until I somehow managed to get onto my feet. The orb grew and I heard a growl in both my head and the room. 

More shouting resounded and then a loud roar silenced the entire room. I was dragged over to a chair at the back. Bodies blocked me from the dense purple form that had grown from the orb. I slumped over in my chair and my eyes fluttered. The pain in my head was leveling out at a migraine.

"Who are you?" Kristoph's voice asked at the front of the crowd, facing the glow.

There was a silence, then several gasps and heads swiveled to face me. The crowd slowly started to separate and my eyes slid shut, growing heavy. I sighed as the headache eased off. A familiar presence stood over me and fingers brushed over my cheek.

I sighed, smiled, and leaned into the hand.

"Nico," I breathed before my world turned black.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Nico's POV

Two months.

Two long months and the panic that rushed through the bond was the last straw.

She needed to be closer to me than just an open link. I forced my consciousness into her and then there was a weird tugging on my body. I'd been enclosed in purple and my wolf growled, the desire to be next to his mate overwhelmed us both. 

My body started to fade out in the purple glow, and I became aware of another room that held Brin. It all was foggy, but then I was standing in front of a crowd and I could smell her. My wolf whined for our mate and I searched the faces for her.

"Who are you?"

The male's defensive tone caught my attention and I focused on him. His eyes glared at me and I bit back the growl that wanted to escape. He could know where my mate was.

I gripped the collar of my shirt and tugged it down, exposing the mark that Brin had placed on me. His eyes widened and then he bowed slightly. Gasps filled the room and my brows furrowed in confusion. All heads swiveled to the back of the room and I was anxious as everyone slowly split to give me a view of Brin.

Her body was slumped on a chair and I quickly made my way over to her. I gently brushed my fingers over her cheek, smirking when she leans into my hand.

"Nico," she breathes and then goes completely limp.

I scoop her into my arms. Turning back to the crowd, I find the male from before and catch his eye. "Where is her room?"

"Follow me," he said, bowing again.

He turned and lead me out of the room that was labeled infirmary. There were many twists and turns, making me feel like I was trapped in a maze. After about five minutes of silent walking, he turned left and led us to the end of the hall.

"She resides in the room just through that door."

"Thank you..."

"Kristoph," he supplied.

"Thank you, Kristoph."

"Of course, Nico," he said with a smile. I stiffened and then eyed him warily. "Oh, I'm sorry. She talks about you a lot. I'm her cousin and her mentor in controlling the fire element."

I nod, a smirk taking over my face. My baby talks about me, and from the look on Kristoph's face, it's only been good things. He walks off as I open the door to her room.

With my jaw dropped, I glanced around the room in wonder. The bed was huge and it stood on a platform that had steps leading up to it on all sides. An entire wall was replaced with glass, overlooking an amazing view of an ocean. There was a TV above the mantle of a fireplace that was burning brightly. Couches surrounded the fireplace, and there was a circular throw rug placed on the hardwood floor.

The walls were a beige color, the floor a dark brown wood. I noticed that there were two doors, one on either side of the fireplace. Shaking my head slightly, I carried Brin over to the bed and gently set her down. A frown marred her face as soon as she lost contact with me. Her hands gripped onto my shirt and I was yanked down onto the bed next to her.

"You're very aggressive in your sleep," I mused, brushing her hair away from her face.

She smiled and curled in closer to me. With a yawn, I wrapped my arms around my mate and held her as I too drifted off to sleep.