Twenty (Josh)

Driving back to Union was a weird experience. I was beyond elated that my family would be coming behind me tomorrow, but incredibly sad I would be leaving Devina.

Or rather, she would be leaving me.

I was foolishly hoping I could make a final plea and she would stay with me. Our silence for the majority of our travel didn’t seem too reassuring.

I needed her though. I needed her guidance and reassurance, though I didn’t know why. I had lived without it before I met her but now it seemed vital.

I needed to take care of her. I need to show her how worthy she was.

I needed to love her.

Her black BMW pulled into my driveway after me and I knew this was going to be one of the most difficult things I had ever done.

The air was charged with an odd solemnity as we got out of our cars and made our way to my door. I led her inside, wondering for some reason why it suddenly mattered what she thought of my childhood home.

“Your family should be here in the morning. The night watch will be here any minute. You will have monitoring for a few days until it has been determined the threat has been completely eliminated,” Devina said.

I looked over at her. She looked a bit uncomfortable. My body acted before I could think out how to approach the situation and I tackled her with a hug. She was obviously taken by surprise but she wrapped her arms around me.

I held onto her with a vise grip. Tears were already brimming in my eyes and flirting with gravity.

“Don’t make me beg you, Devina,” I said through gritted teeth.

Devina sighed.

“Josh...”

She shifted and took my face in her hands. Tears were forming in her eyes as well.

“No amount of begging is going to changed the fact I can’t love you the way you deserved to be loved,” she said.

My heart shattered.

“At least let me keep in contact with you,” I pled.

She shook her head.

“I can’t do that. Your safety would always be in jeopardy.”

I was desperate.

“Give me something... something to remember you by.”

Her face changed slightly and I knew she had an idea. She reached into her bag and pulled out a pen and a well-worn copy of Life of Pi.

My eyes clouded even more with tears as I recalled our conversation in the library.

“I ask the giver to write some sort of encouraging words.”

I watched as she opened the book and propped it up against the nearest wall so she could write a message in it.

I waited impatiently for her to finish but didn’t take it right away when she proffered it to me. It seemed too final.

“A story of survival. For when times get tough and you feel like giving up,” she said.

Despite the finality, I took the book from her and hugged her again.

“Don’t leave me. I love you,” I whispered desperately.

“I’ve seen your strength, Joshua. You’re strong enough to let me go,” she said softly.

“No.”

“Read this book when you miss me.”

She kissed my cheek and stepped back. Surprisingly, I let go.

But I saw something over her shoulder: a man standing in an obscure corner. He raised his arm and in his hand was a gun.

“Devina!” I shouted, startled.

But we were too slow. A shot was fired before Devina could react. She slumped against me.

“DEVINA!”