Ten (Josh)

Devina would not tell me where we were going. We had stopped in the middle of nowhere to stay the night and I didn’t even know what state we were in.

We had been on the road for a few hours when I started paying attention to the road signs.

Orlando, 20 miles.

Okay, so we were in Florida. Where in Florida were we going?

Devina wouldn’t tell me until we got there so there was no point asking. 

I continued playing Tetris on my phone and glanced up every once in a while. After about forty minutes, we hit a really touristy strip. I noticed a road sign that was purple instead of green and had what appeared to be Mickey Mouse ears on top.

Oh yeah, Disney World was in Florida. I had never driven through Florida so I had never seen these signs. They were cute.

I went back to Tetris and Devina remained silent. 

When I looked up next, there were more signs for Disney World and several ads for the park attractions as we drove along. 

Wow, we must be pretty close.

Then I realized…

“OH MY GOD, WE’RE GOING TO DISNEY WORLD!” I shouted.

Devina jumped but then started laughing.

“Yes, darling. We’re going to Disney World,” she confirmed.

I nearly jumped out of my seat with glee.

“Oh my god! Oh my god! Oh my god!”

Devina laughed at me again. I grabbed her free hand that was resting on her right thigh and sprinkled it with kisses.

“You are a goddess!” I exclaimed.

“Whoa! Let’s not exaggerate here,” Devina countered.

I threaded my fingers between hers.

“But you are! I’ve always wanted to go to Disney World!”

“What?! You’ve never been?!”

“I’ve never been.”

“Wow, you’ve been sheltered.”

“You’ve been?!”

“I have, a few times. One of Torin’s really good friends works there. He will be our tour guide.”

“A tour guide?”

“Yes, a tour guide. He will be with us the whole time and cut us through lines and make sure no one approaches you if you don’t wish.”

“Wow,” I breathed. But then I realized the last thing she said wasn’t really my decision. “Well, I guess it will be if you wish.”

Devina sighed.

“I know how much you love greeting your fans, but we can’t trust anyone. Not after what happened yesterday.”

“I understand.”

“Okay. I’m glad you’re excited.”

“Of course I am! This is going to be the best birthday ever!”

Devina smiled brightly at me. Her phone rang and she hit the answer button on the steering wheel.

“Devina Friedmann,” she answered.

“Dev, it’s Holden,” an accented male voice came through the speakers.

“Holden, my darling! We are five minutes away.”