Eight (Josh)

Devina and I enjoyed walking around whatever city we were in until our feet hurt. Then, we would take a cab or some other mode of public transportation back to our hotel and fall to pieces.

Today was no different. It was a beautiful fall day in Baltimore. But as we walked along as we always did, I couldn’t help thinking something was off.

I reached over and grabbed Devina’s hand. It was something I tended to do a lot, especially when I was scared.

“You okay?” Devina asked as she threaded her fingers between mine.

I shook my head.

“Something feels off,” I replied.

“What do you mean?”

“I dunno. It’s like something’s in the air.”

“We can go back to the hotel.”

“No. It’s okay. It will pass.”

“Okay. I’ll keep my eyes peeled.”

“Okay.”

Devina squeezed my hand reassuringly.

We turned into Banana Republic and Devina promptly led me to a dress that caught her eye. It was grey with black on the sides and sleeves.

“Ugh, this is fantastic!” she said.

She searched the rack for her size while I uneasily looked around the store. Nothing seemed out of place but I couldn’t shake this feeling.

Devina grabbed my hand again and pulled me along as she continued browsing. She stopped suddenly and I nearly bumped into her. She was looking at me with an examining eye.

“Are you sure you’re okay? Your hand is sweaty,” she said.

“Really, I’m fine,” I replied.

“Josh, we don’t have to be out if you don’t feel comfortable. It kinda defeats my purpose.”

“I don’t want to spoil your fun.”

“No, dear. I won’t be having fun if I’m worrying about you. I’ll just try on this dress and we can go.”

I looked at her face. Her emerald-green eyes held nothing but sincerity and worry.

“Okay.”

She smiled at me and I smiled back.

We walked over to the changing stalls and I sat on the couch while Devina walked into an empty stall. I looked around nervously. The store only had a few people in it. But there was one guy who kept looking over at me.

My initial reaction was that I’m a celebrity, but this was a dude in his 30s. Not exactly my fan base.

I felt my pulse quicken and my hands become even more sweaty than they already were.

“Josh? Could you help me with this zipper?” Devina called.

Oh, thank god.

I tried to control myself from jumping up and running into her stall. I probably wasn’t very smooth as I came to the door.

“Honey, you need to open the door for me to help you,” I said.

“Oh, right.”

Devina opened the door a fraction and I pushed my way inside, shutting the door behind me. It was a pretty small space and there was barely enough room for both of us to move around. I didn’t meet her gaze in the mirror as I zipped up the dress.