Chapter Six

Silvermoon yawned and stretched as she opened her eyes. Surprisingly, she couldn't feel warm fur beside her. She padded out the entrance of the den and felt warm sunshine bathe her fur. Suddenly, she saw Coldheart, gazing off in the direction of the Clans. Silvermoon cocked her head and padded towards her mate. Her belly bulging, she decided she was going to tell him the great news today.

As Silvermoon neared, she mewed gently "Coldheart, what are you doing here?"

The black cat jumped in surprise and stammered "We,well...Oh Silvermoon, I miss EarthClan so much! I've been thinking about this for a while, and I've decided I'm going back."

Frozen with surprise, Silvermoon mewed "But, aren't you happy with me?"

Coldheart mewed softly "I don't know if I can take this anymore, we can still be friends, but I can't be your mate. Won't you come back with me?"

Silvermoon thought for a moment, then shook her head miserably. Every cat will hate me, they would banish me... I wouldn't be happy. Filled with emotion, Silvermoon choked out "But, we were going to have-"

Stopping herself, Silvermoon thought: If he's going to leave me, I might as well not tell him.

"I'm so sorry I had to do this to you... I'm breaking the warrior code, and it means so much to me. If you can't accept that, I have nothing to do with you..." Coldheart mewed softly as he started to pad away. "I hope I see you again sometime... Goodbye Silvermoon, may StarClan light your path..."

Silvermoon lowered her head and whispered "Oh StarClan, what have I done..."