Chpt. 6

-Asher's p.o.v.--later that day-

I let out a huge sigh as I rejected yet another call from my brother and Tia. 15 missed calls from them in the last hour.

I groaned leaning my head back on the couch just as there was a knock on the door. I got up reluctantly and looked through the peep hole.

I opened the door.

"What?" I asked.

"I-I'm sorry, I shouldn't have come by" Paige said softly holding her upper arm. She's been doing that a lot. I let out a forced breath through my nose.

"No, its fine. Come in" I said and she hesitated.

"I won't bite" I said and she came in. We sat down and she looked at me.

"What?" I asked.

"Nothing its just that you look and seem different" she said.

"Yea, I bet, no ones seen you for over eight years when you ran away" I said and sighed.

"I know, its just that I remember you being such a happy guy, always so sweet but now you just seem angry all the time" she said.

"That's because I am" why would I say that?

"But why?" She asked and I shrugged.

"When was the last time you got a good nights rest?" She asked and I shrugged.

"I don't know a few years but it got worse five weeks ago" I said. Again why am I telling her this?

'Because she's our mate' my wolf said.

"Oh"

"Can I ask you something?" I asked looking at her.

"Okay" she said.

"Why did you come back?" I asked.

"I didn't. I woke up in Mathews office, said some warrior wolves found me unconscious at the south boarder" she explained.

"Interesting" I said and she shrugged.

Things then got really silent.

"Do you hate me?" She asked after like five minutes of silence.

"Ask me again in like a week or two" I said remembering everything she put me through.

"I don't think I'll be alive then" she said.

"What do you mean?" I asked more alerted.

"Dr Johnson called me an hour ago. The silvery stuff is mercury" she said.

"How did you get mercury in your blood?" I asked.

"I don't know but I can't shift or hear my wolf, I don't even know if she's still there but I still have werewolf abilities" she explained then looked down at her hands and got quiet.

"I'm really scared and I don't know to do" she whispered. My heart broke at all this new information. I stood up and sat next to her.

"Your not alone in this, you have me" I said and she slowly laid her head onto my shoulder.

"I don't want to die, I'm only 24 years old" she said.

"I won't allow it. I will do everything in my power to save you" I said wrapping my arm around her waist and pulling her closer.

For the first time my nerves weren't so jumpy and I felt safe being with her. She calms me.

"Thank you" she spoke softly as she dozed off.

I turned on the couch careful not to wake her as I got comfortable. She was laying on my chest and wrapped both my arms around her. I started to doze off to but heard my front door open.

"Asher I swear if you-oh" Tia said surprised.

"Shh, get out" I said then Mathew came in.

"What's going on?" Mathew asked.

"Your invading my privacy when I just want to sleep is what's going on, now get out" I said loudly and to my surprise Paige didn't wake up.

I moved her off me and stood up.

"Do not raise your voice at me" Mathew said using the alpha tone.

"Don't use alpha on me, I'm your brother" I said. He rolled his eyes.

"You have been acting like my brother lately" he said.

"Maybe because I want to be alone" I said almost yelling.

"Why Asher? Why don't you talk to anyone anymore?" He asked.

"Because it's my business!" I yelled.

"I just want to help!" He said loudly.

"Maybe I-" I cut myself off and snapped my head to look at Paige. I don't know why but I just knew something was wrong.

"What?" Mathew asked. Then I saw it, the mercury dripping from her nose and mouth.

"Shit" I breathed out.

"Again what?" Mathew asked. I ignored him and was at Paige's side. I shook her.

"Paige wake up" I said but she didn't. I placed my fingers to her neck barely feeling a pulse.

"Asher-"

"She dying, Mathew please help me" I begged scared out of my mind and my hands started to shake.

"What are you talking about?" He asked.

"She has mercury poisoning" I said and turned her head for him to see it dripping from her nose and mouth. I picked her up and Tia got the door as I rushed her to the hospital.

Please be okay.