Chapter 1: Star-gazing

Chapter 1:

"I knew I'd find you here" He chuckled to himself. I didn't even have to glance his way to know it was him, no one else ever found me up here. He was the only one who knew.

Lincoln was my best friend. He was actually my only friend and closest person in my village. We were on a patrol and hunt and when we decided to split up my neverending wonderlust got the best of me. It happened daily, there were just times when I wanted to be still and let my imagination fly, and the only place I could do that was up in the trees. The view was so different then on the ground. The ground was closed in and covered in the vibrant green carpet of earth and dust but the sky ... it was a marvelous combination of clouds and a view that didn't stop, no matter where I looked it didn't have an end. It made me wish I could go and explore it for myself.

"Where else would I be?" I said, finally getting my head out of the clouds.

"Hunting or patroling like you said you were?" He mocked back.

"Do I ever do what I say I am?" I answered him smiling.

"What do you see today?" He asked as he crouched beside me.

"I see -" but then I was cut off my the whirlwind sound that got louder with every passing second. The sound erupted the trees and caused a viscious wind. Lincoln and I looked up to the sky and were shocked by what we saw emerging from the space above.

A large ship of sorts was plummeting at great speeds and looked to be landing in the middle of the forest that Lincoln, my village and myself called home.

"What is that?" Lincoln asked.

"Whatever it is ... we can't be the only ones who know its here..." I said returning his worried look.

"We should go and warn the others" Lincoln said, his whole demeanor changed when it came down to the village and following orders, he was so good at it, so loyal. I had always questioned why I was so different.

We climbed down the trees and began our journey back. Lincoln was so much faster than me but apart of me didn;t want to rush back to my people... so I slowed to a stop and watched Lincoln continue on. I stood there and thought about what I might find and the thought excited me more than frightened me so I headed back in the other direction, towards the fallen ship.

Once I was close enough I climbed into a thick tree so I would be safe and hidden. I waited in silence for any sign of life or movement from the huge ship when suddenly the ship door opened.

A young girl emerged from the door and I saw lots more standing behind her. Who were they?

She stepped out and jumped onto the fresh soil of the ground, she looked overwhelmed with joy and she slowly turned around and yelled "We're back bitches!" and thats when they all started to run and parade through the woods.

I watched all of them in bewilderment as they cheered and explored the land and I couldn't help be drawn to their freedom.

I wanted a closer look.

I made my way down the trees and carefully moved closer to them. It was strange how different I felt.

And then the voice of a girl caught my attention. She had bright, touseled hair and blue eyes. "We need to get to Mount Weather!" She warned them. "Not because the chancellor said so, but because the longer we wait the hungrier we'll get and the harder this will be. How long do you think we can last without this supplies?" She asked the crowd.

"You two go, find it for us. Let the privelleged do the hard work for a change" A tall man challenged and soon all the others cheered with him. You could tell he was the leader, everything about him gave off the feel. He was a tall man, with olive skin and strong eyes, eyes I didn't mind looking at at all. I quickly shook the thought and continued to listen. They argued more and it wasn't long before 2 of the boys were fighting, one of them even got his leg broken. Another boy quickly jumped down from the ship and put a stop to the fight, he was also a very good looking boy. His hair was much longer but his face was softer than the others.