Chapter 5: "Choices"

Chapter5:

Everyone gathered to talk about the falling Pod they had seen in the sky, I just learned they had called the smaller ships a pod. Everyone seemed thrilled that more of there people would be coming ... but Bellamy's face looked torn, like pretty soon he would have to make a big decision and it wouldn't be easy.

"Aren't you excited! People from the Ark know were alive!" Octavia came up to me and seemed happy.

"Yeah... it's great" I said not too convincing.

"Sound less thrilled, please, it's overwhelming" She said sarcastically.

"Sorry, I'm just tired" I tell her.

"How can you be tired when your family most likely knows your alive!" She said.

"Because I have no family up there!" I tell her.

"You mean on the Ark?" She corrects me and gives me a weird look.

"Yes... the Ark. It's just me here, ok?" I told her hoping she would take the hint. She said no more, just nodded and left the tent. I followed her out to see what the plan was. I wasn't going to lie, it worried me that once there people came ... no one would recognize me and my cover would be blown.

"We should get going" Octavia went up to Bellamy.

"No one's going anywhere. Not while it's dark it isn't safe. We'll head out at first light, pass the word" He said and left before anymore could be said but Octavia got in his way.

"Everyone in 100 miles saw this thing come down, what if the grounders get to it first?" She asked.

"You heard him, it's not safe. Grounders are ruthless, you saw what they did to Jasper" I said trying to keep my cool. I knew all it took was one person to blow my cover, one person to ask me the wrong question and I could be exposed. Octavia looked at me like I was betraying her or something. We had come accustomed to having late night talks about all sorts of things, it was unusual but I enjoyed it. It made us closer.

"Bell, we should go now!" She told him.

"I said no one leaves til sunrise" He said leaving us.

"What the hell was that?" She asked me.

"I'm doing what I think is safe, Octavia ... you don't know what your up against out there" I told her.

"And you do?" She barked back, and I had nothing to say back. She stared me down, who knows what she could be thinking, she walked out without another word.

I stayed up that night, until Octavia had fallen asleep. I slowly got up from my bunk and grabbed my jacket Octavia had given me along with a few weapons I had made in my spare time. I left my tent and unfortunately there were plenty of people still awake but I knew I could sneak past them. I wanted a look of what was inside that machine that came down. I bumped into Clarke and Finn on my way out.

"Bellamy left camp, he took his gear, whatever is in that Pod, he wants it. We have to get there first" She told him before noticing me.

"Hey guys" I said knowing it would be suspicious to sneak by them without saying anything.

"Hey Selene, can't sleep either?" Finn asked.

"Uh, no ... I was curious what was on that .. uh... uh" I froze.

"Pod?" Finn finished for me.

"Yeah ... that's the thing, slipped my mind" I chuckled but they both just looked at me. "I think I just need some water before I go to sleep" I wondered by them, they didn't seem to concerned. I quickly made my way to the gate and ran as fast as I could. I wanted to get there before Bellamy and before Clarke and Finn. With my tracking skills and the fact that I knew the forest better than them, I thought my chances were good.