l u k e

s i x t y - t w o

a week and a half later, michael was still dead inside, grace and i had gone on three 'dates', and i had barely seen adora. she was doing school work online when i was available and i was always busy when she wasn't. plus, we couldn't just go out in public whenever we wanted to. the only time i saw her was when i got home late at night and she was passed out on the couch after attempting to wait for me. i would carry her to our bed, tuck her in, and then pass out next to her. i was always so exhausted and whenever we did get alone time i was too tired to do anything. i couldn't even watch american horror story because i always fell asleep.

"luke," adora whispered to me as i sat on the hotel couch next to her.

"adora," i responded in the same hushed tone.

"we're alone and not busy!" she grinned with a happy gleam in her eyes.

i beamed at her but it slowly faded and my shoulders slumped. she looked at me with confusion and sadness until i explained.

"i have to go to that fair with grace," i whispered.

"we were going to go there," she said sadly. it broke my heart to see her like this but i really had no choice.

"i know, princess. i want to take you so bad but i have to go with grace and then we leave tomorrow so..." i trailed off and stared at the couch space in between us. when i told her about the date with grace she had scooted away from me.

"it's okay," she whispered. her voice was so quiet and sad i barely understood her.

"no, it's not," i groaned with frustration, "i'm so fucking sorry. i'm running out of ways to make up for our lost time."

"maybe come home before nine and bring some food?" she tried hopefully.

i smiled and nodded, "i'll do my best. i have to go now, adore."

she forced a small smile and i leaned in to kiss her trembling bottom lip quickly before running to the bedroom to grab my jacket. as i walked out the door, i could see the tears going down her cheeks. i almost slammed the door and went to comfort her but grace showed up at that moment.

"ready?" grace chirped.

i saw adora get off of the couch and rush away towards the bathroom. i could feel my heart shattering in my chest as i heard the shower turn on. adora had already taken a shower this morning which meant that she was taking another one so she could cry without anyone noticing.

"come on, luke," grace grabbed my hand but i yanked it out of her grasp.

"no touching today, that's my only rule," i snapped before stomping off with grace attempting to keep up.

-

i walked in at nine o' clock the next morning. i almost didn't want to come home because i knew adora would be pissed and i knew the boys would be mad at me, too. i looked around the living room area and saw that no one was here but as i walked into the kitchen i saw ashton, calum, michael, and adora at the table. ashton shook his head at me before leaving. calum kept his head down, michael glared at me, and adora didn't even turn around.