Chapter 26

"Maddie, is that you?"

Ella was surprised. She's the only person I could think of during these desperate times. I embraced her. All throughout the years, we constantly communicate. She knows everything about me except this last few accounts of my life.

"Come on in." 

"I'm sorry to bother you, Ella. You're the only person I could turn to."

In between sobs, I told her about Matthew Blaine. It's a sort of opening out my pain to her. It felt good to have somebody to talk with.

"It's okay, Maddie. You know, my house is always open for you."

  I hugged her tight. "Thank you, Ella. This means a lot."

Ella didn't allow me to work. So, I was steadily at home doing light chores. She's working as a nurse and still single. Though she had Lance, her boyfriend, marriage is not their priority. Once in a while, Lance dropped by the apartment and have little chats with us. They look good together. 

Even without a work, I still got something to share. I had my savings before I met Matthew. It's the savings I was counting in when I decided to fetch Sabina from the orphanage. From time to time, I still think of my daughter. How was she dealing this? It's my hope that she's fine.

Months passed, and I know it's just a matter of time now. I walk few steps back and forth. Every time the pain kicks in, I stop. The pain is written all over my face.

"Maddie, are you alright?" Ella assisted me. It's good thing she's in a day off. "Will I bring you now to the hospital?"

I could see her concern. I'm glad we're that close. In as much as I want to assure her, I could barely speak. The pain was constant and I couldn't handle it anymore. Ella phoned the hospital.

"Don't worry, the ambulance will be here soon. Hang on, Maddie."

Couple of minutes, the medics lifted me to the stretcher and I'm brought inside the ambulance. Ella mounted herself in.

"You'll be fine. " She squeezed my hand.

In between minutes, the pain was getting stronger. God help me. I whispered a silent prayer. I have to be strong. But I'm dozing off, I can't help closing my eyes.

"Maddie, don't fall asleep. Stay with me." Ella was trained in moments like this. "This isn't good." I heard Ella saying but I hear her less and less. And finally, I wasn't aware of anything at all.

The moment I opened my eyes, I was in a hospital bed.

"Good gracious, I'm glad you're awake." Ella approached me when I made few movements. But my body was too heavy, and I still felt pain. "Don't move yet." she instructed me. She adjusted the bed so I can be comfortable.

A nurse just walked in the room. She was smiling at me. "Congratulations! It's a healthy baby boy."

She handed the baby to me. I feel like crying. He's the only one I've got now. I kissed him in the head and held his little hands. 

Welcome to the world, my son. Welcome to the world, my little Matthew.

==============================================================================

What a revelation!!! She left so Matthew's son to Aprille would have a father. And yet here she is giving birth to her fatherless son. Good grief! What do you think dear readers?

Please post your comments and don't forget to click those VOTE and FOLLOW buttons. Thanks!