Prompt #2

Prompt- Ace's backstory/how he met Alexis

----------------------------------------------------------------------

​Ace laid on the floor, his small body pressed against the wall. He had several toys laid out in front of him, and was playing with them happily.

​"Ace, pick up your toys," his mother said. "You always make such a mess. Dinner is ready."

​Ace sat up, gathering his toys and tossing them into the toy bucket. He got to his feet and followed his mother downstairs, where his father was already seated at the table.

​He climbed into his usual chair and watched eagerly as his mom set down food. His father scooped some onto a plate for him, and he began to eat.

​"Mommy, why do you and daddy have different last names if you're married?" Ace asked. "The other kids asked me today."

​"Because you can be married and keep your last name," his mother said. "And I gave you my last name because you're my boy."

​"You're still my boy. I've got no one to carry on the Brooks legacy," his dad said.

​"You have your nephew," his mom said dismissively. "Besides, Ace is my boy, aren't you?"

​"Of course mama!" Ace leaned towards his mom with a smile.

​"I believe I was part of his conception," his dad said. "If anything, he's our boy."

​"He favors his mother." His mom reached out, pushing Ace's hair out of his face. "Now, eat your dinner, Ace."

​Ace obeyed his mother, secretly pleased that his parents argued over who he loved most. He was their favorite, and they wanted him to love them the most. He felt loved.

​​​​​​***

​"Dad?" Ace was nine years old, used to timidly creeping around his dad's moods. His mother had left the family, and Ace felt the emptiness and devastation of it every day.

​Hadn't he been her boy?

​Hadn't he been good enough for her?

​"Ace, there you are," his father said, coming out. "How was school?"

​Ace handed his dad a field trip permission slip. "Can I please go to the zoo with the class? Our teacher said it'll be really fun!"

​His father looked at the paper before stuffing it into the garbage. "Absolutely not."

​Ace's expression fell. "Please, dad!"

​"No. What if something happens to you while you're there? What if you get lost or stolen?" His dad reached out, clamping on hand onto Ace's shoulder. "What would I do without my boy?"

​"I'll be careful, I promise! I'll stay right by the teacher! Dad, please, everyone else is going to go," Ace said desperately. He hated that his father never let him go on field trips.

​"You're being selfish, Ace!" his dad said angrily. But then his anger turned into sadness. "I lost my wife because of you. Your mom and I were fine until you came along. Now she's gone, and you're all I have left. I just want some respect from you. I give up a lot for you."

​Ace felt his shoulders slump. "I'm really sorry dad," he whispered. "I didn't mean to...I won't go on the field trip."

​His father gave a little smirk and shook Ace's shoulder. "Good boy. You really need to stop questioning me, Ace. When I give you an answer, it's final."