Prompt #20

Prompt- A part 2 to the prompt of Alexis being sick

--------------------------------------------

​I forced my eyes open, staring up at the ceiling. I slowly dragged myself into a sitting position, the world spinning slightly less than it had yesterday.

​I placed a hand on my head, wiping away the sweat there. There was an ice pack on the ground next to my bed.

​My door cracked open a little and Jer peeked in. He glared at me and came over, forcing me to lie down.

​"Fucking hell, Alexis. You still have a pretty bad fever. Quit making it worse. We need you to work," he said. ​He grabbed the medicine from my desk and handed it to me along with a water bottle.

​I took the pills. "Micah," I said, my voice raspy.

​"Is that the only word you know?" Jer crossed his arms, looking annoyed. "The kid is fine. He whines way too much."

​"He's five." I closed my eyes, a quick flash of nausea passing over me. Once I felt better, I opened my eyes again.

​"Whatever, I'm not his babysitter or yours." Jer left the room.

​I pulled myself back up to a sitting position. I rubbed my stiff neck, wishing I felt well enough to get up and shower.

​My door opened again and Ike came in. He had a bowl of soup in his hands.

​He set it down and fixed my pillows. I slumped back against them weakly, watching Ike as he carried the soup over to me.

​He handed me the spoon and moved to hand me the soup. But my hand was shaking badly and I dropped the spoon.

​Ike sighed, picking it up. "You're pathetic."

​"I'm not even hungry." I closed my eyes again, ready to sleep.

​Ike shook my shoulder. "Hey, wake up. You won't get better if you don't eat. Open your mouth."

​I opened my mouth and Ike spooned some soup into it. I forced myself to swallow it down, waiting until my stomach settled before opening my mouth again.

​"Micah," I said once I had swallowed the soup. "He was with Ace last night, wasn't he?"

​"No, he was with Ace two nights ago," Ike said. "You've been sleeping for days. I shouldn't even be this surprised that you have no idea what the hell is going on. He slept in my room last night."

​"Is he okay?" I asked.

​Ike spooned more soup into my mouth. "The kid is fine. He cries and asks about you constantly, though."

​"His mom died of illness," I said. "He's scared. I should see him."

​"No. You're too sick to be around him," Ike said.

​"I at least want to shower," I said.

​"You can barely even sit up. Wouldn't want you looking at our junk, gay boy," Ike said, spooning more soup into my mouth.

​"Oh please. We've all been naked together before," I said, closing my eyes. "What did you do while Micah was in your room? You're the reason he almost ran away once."

​"It was one time and I caught him before he made it out the front door," Ike said in annoyance. "He started crying when it got dark. So I helped him build a little fort and I put a movie on for him in it."

​I pictured Ike doing that with his own brother and smiled a little. Ike tried to be a hardass, but he wasn't so bad.

​"Wipe that damn smile off your face, Alexis," Ike said.

​"I'm feverish and delusional," I reminded.

​"Can't argue with that. The kid is in my room again tonight. I'll tell him you're still alive," Ike said.

​"Tell him that I'm getting better," I said insistently. I didn't want Micah to be worried that he was going to lose another person to illness.

​"Got it," Ike said. "Finish your soup and then you can bathe."

​I almost laughed. "What, are you going to shower with me?"

​"Shut up. I'll set you up a bath. Shit, it's like having another child," Ike said.

​I mumbled out a reply as I closed my eyes and felt myself slipping back off to sleep. I guess my bath would have to wait a little longer. I was just glad to hear that Ike was being so nice to Micah while I was sick.