'Speak Swahili, Dammit!' Chapter 1

Speak Swahili, Dammit!

      By James Penhaligon.

Copyright ©James Penhaligon.

Websitehttp://www.jamespenhaligon.co.uk

The story of an incredible upbringing deep in the East African bush. Only in Africa, and only in a place like Geita, could lions walk under the house, a mad man become a prophet, black mambas hide in car gloveboxes, and the young son of a British family speak only Swahili, eat flying ants, and build a working firearm at the age of ten. The story weaves between tragedy and hilarity, as 'Jimu' learns about life and love, with some very unusual teachers. 

Dedication

This book is dedicated to Ingrid, my dear wife and long-term companion, and to friends, relatives and East African compatriots, departed or still living, in Africa, and everywhere they have blown. May they, and we, always remember Africa in all its spectacular beauty, and return often to drink of her blessed waters.

‘I could not put this book down!’

Beautifully written, takes reader on unique journey into childhood in Africa, the bush, eccentric characters, wild animals…heartbreak, excitement, humour, compassion. Characters extremely well portrayed... author's love of Africa and animals shines through…this book reminds me of Gerald Durrell's writing at its best. An excellent job of bringing a magical time in Africa back to life … deserves its place amongst the top shelf of African memoirs.’

‘Paradise lost’.

Wonderful story about life in East Africa, long gone but fondly remembered … entertaining, funny, sad, a unique boyhood, filled with unusual experience and adventure. Deep love of watu (African people), and Africa shines through. Nostalgic.will appeal to armchair travellers and anyone interested in life beyond the village green. Highly recommended!’

‘Don’t read it on the train!’

Do not read on the train, because if you are like me you will laugh out loud and people will think you strange. Like all the other reviewers, I really enjoyed it. I have never been to Tanzania, but the author really brings it to life. Highly recommended.

‘A Must for Africa-lovers!’

I laughed, I cried, I stayed up until 2 a.m. to finish this book. I hope there’s a sequel in the pipeline. It's a fascinating narrative of life in 'darkest' Africa.

‘Better than the reading-list!’

I was given a reading list by a travel company before a trip to Tanzania. This book wasn’t on it, but is by far the most enjoyable book I have read…not just 'local memoir'…so well written, provides wonderful insight into the mind of a growing boy…happens to be set in Tanzania…opens window into race relations & culture of colonial and post-colonial period without preaching. Skillful weaving of Swahili makes me want to learn - it sounds so musical.

‘Outstanding Book!’

Just finished reading it, in tears.... An outstanding book, well-written…distinctive style, great cogency and economy of words. Thoroughly recommend to any reader, whether or not they know Africa or Tanganyika/Tanzania.

‘Fall Out Of Chair!’

This was a great read, and I learned a bit of Swahili vocabulary while reading it. There are some laugh-so-hard-I-fell-out-of-the-chair moments and the author's writing style has a great flow to it.