Chapter 9

Oh...I wonder why Gab isn’t here yet. It was a Saturday. He was supposed to be here a long time ago. But he wasn’t. I tried calling him several times but he was out of reach. I actually called him for five times and this call would be the sixth. Ring! Ring! Ring!

Then to my surprise, he answered it! I was supposed to be angry, but it was relief that I felt, relieved that he was alright and still breathing. “Hey, Jenny, sorry.”

“No, it’s alright,” I said.

“I’m sorry...” he told me again on the other line.

“Yeah, I heard you and I said that it was alright,” I repeated.

“You don’t understand. Look, I’ll meet you later at dawn. Would that be alright?”

“Yeah, sure, okay...” then he hung up on me.

What’s wrong with him? There’s something wrong, I feel it. I sighed heavily and forked the bread, not really in the mood to eat, suddenly. I waited till dawn came.

Gab, Gab, Gab.

He was running in my head the whole time. I just looked at the twins with a blank expression. Yeah...then a sound made me super alive like I had just risen from the dead. Gab, I hope!

I jumped and open the door and it sure was Gab, looking down and not even greeting me. “Hey...” I said awkwardly. He turned the other way and walked. I followed him silently.

We ended up in Central Park.

I could feel his gaze.

He finally faced me! Whew! “So, what are we doing here?” I asked, keeping a light mood.

“So, uh...here’s this thing. There was a party last Friday night and there was this game...” I let him continue. I would just want to be quiet. “They dared Kell-y to uh...kiss me. And I was about to protest but Kelly was so quick. She jumped over me and did the dare.” We locked eyes. “I swear, I didn’t want to do it. I would never have wanted to.”

“Kelly did that?” Then, flashback! What if Kelly felt the ecstasy she wanted? Oh no...if she did, then there would be a big fight between us. Ugh! How could she!

“So, did you like it?” I asked in a hurt way, not intending to, but it just came out like that.

“No...I mean, yes, I mean, no, no. Yours is better.” I rolled my eyes, not in a joke way. “Well, yeah, maybe hers was better but yours is more important and yours had a meaning so don’t worry, okay?” Okay, that sucked pretty hard. She kisses better than me...? Aw...well, he also said that mine’s more important, though I really didn’t trust him when he said that. “FYI, you’re like a darn northern star. Since then,” I said and walked away. It rained the second I turned my back on him, as if God was agreeing with what I felt, which made me a little better.

Soon, I was back at the house then everyone was crying. Did they know what happened? Oh no...two bad things can’t happen at once, right? Darn. “Excuse me, but why are you crying?” I asked the maid with my twin brothers hugging her.

“Your mother just died.”

With that one statement, I felt like I could die. And so many questions were running in my head.

“What? How?”

“I was going to feed her but when I went to her room, her eyes were open and she wasn’t breathing.” That gave me creeps despite it all.

I cried harder and harder, hugging my twin brothers. What should I do with them now? Oh no...it just strike me now that I didn’t do the supposedly “best story”, well, I’m afraid I won’t have to do that. Gab already replaced me, as far as I’m concerned. Now I don’t have a future. Darn it.