Chapter 10

When I opened my eyes, I saw no one which immediately made me sad, thinking nobody cared. Oh wait, if nobody cared then who brought me here. I saw the nurse looking at me. “I see you’re awake now.”

“How long have I been asleep?”

“A day?”

“Who brought me here?”

“A boy who caught my attention because of his green eyes brought you here. It was amazing. Anyway, that’s the only information I could give you.”

A boy with green eyes? I’m a hundred percent sure that it was Gab who brought me here. I got to thank him but in a none-conversational way. Maybe a note will do. “Can I get up now?”

“Well, depends on how you feel.” I got up and I could feel pain on my thighs, legs, stomach, arms, hands, feet, shoulders. But I guess I could handle this after having a one-day sleep. I got up and asked for a paper and a pen. “Thanks,” I thanked the nurse. “Wait, if I slept here the whole night, who stayed with me, then?”

“The same one who brought you here.”

“Oh, where is he now?”

“I don’t know. He ran when he saw you move a bit. He’s weird.” Oh...I need to thank him big time but still, no talk means no talk. That’s it! At least, I’m sending him a thank you note.

So, here’s the note I wrote for a hard ten minutes:

Hey, uh...Gab, I’m here doing this note because the nurse told me that a guy with green eyes brought me to the nurse’s office and you were the first and the last guy I knew and thought of with green eyes. So, if you were the one who really did it and the one who stayed up all night just to watch me, thanks then. I really appreciate it. Once again, thanks. I wouldn’t be here if it weren’t for you. :)

                                                      Your friend,

                                                     Jenny

That’s all. I did that for the whole ten minutes. That was how nervous I was on writing that. I slipped on my flip-flops and went to his locker and slipped the letter in. When I heard footsteps, I quickly took off my flip flops and ran in a quietly quick way. It was Gab. I waited for him to open his locker but he passed by it, then he paused, then turned back and opened his locker. He reached for the letter I just slipped in. He read it and smirked in a good way, not in a knew-you-would-miss-me way. It was like he was happy to have a letter from me. When he was done reading it, he tucked it inside his pocket and looked around and thought no one was around, except for me, of course. He was about to go when he opened his locker again and got his chemistry book, and then, he walked away.

After that, I decided to talk to the dorm officer, the one who was in charge for dorm rooms, duh. “Excuse me.” I knocked on the transparent glass wall.

“How may I help you?”

“Well, what I’m about to say needs real consideration. So, uh...I was wondering if I can move to another dorm room with my two twin brothers because our mom just died and...”

“OK, stop. I think there’s an empty slot here at room 10A, B, C. There are no people there yet. Is that fine with you?”

“That would be great! Thank you!” She smiled and gave me the key. “Oh wait, the name and the former dorm room, please?”

“Oh...Jenny Carter, room 3B.”

“OK, you may go now. I’m not asking why you want to change.” I smiled at her and she went back to her paper works. I went to my former dorm room, hoping Kelly wasn’t there. I went in and when I saw that only Cherry was there, for the first time, she looked at me. “Hey, condolence and I’m sorry if I didn’t come.”

“It’s fine...,” I said and grabbed all my things in a hurry.

“Hey, where are you going?”

“Moving to another dorm, bye.” Before she could question me again, I ran in a hurry and bumped into some strong body. I looked up and it was...Gab. “Sorry,” I said and skittered continually and reached 10 A, B, C safely. I called to the house and told the maid to go with my twin brothers here in the campus and told her that when she reached here, she should call me.

Waiting, I looked at the room which was not like all the other dorm rooms. The wall paint was old yellow and the walls have crack, many cracks. The room was quite big and seemed haunted which scared me a bit. So I just decided to walk along the hall, hoping, wishing I would see Gab. Just seeing him would do. By God’s grace, I saw him, texting, with God-knows-who. Then my phone vibrated, thinking it was the maid, but it wasn’t, it was him.

He said:

Hey, uh...I just wanted to tell you that, yes, I was the one who brought you to the nurse’s office and the one who stayed up all night. :)

I said:

OK, you don’t need to text me, you know.

He said:

You said that we shouldn’t talk, only, right? So here I am texting you, you writing letters for me. Isn’t that sweet?

Ok, that pissed me off; I didn’t reply and just went back to my haunted dorm room. The bulb was broken, like it was going on-off, on-off which gave me creeps. Did someone die on this very room? Hopefully not. Then someone knocked on the door, before I could ask if who is she or he. The door creaked open and I saw no one. I crumbled to my bed and prayed to God. Then someone touched me, I gasped with horror just to see Gab. I glared at him because horror things, believe it or not, scares me so badly. I looked down and hot streams of tears went down my cheeks and ended up on the soft covers. A text came but I completely knew it was just Gab, maybe just saying sorry. Cool wind brushed against my shoulder which made me shudder and I felt his hug. Oh God, I missed those times when he does that. I looked at him and pushed him away before he kisses me. Then my phone rung, I answered it. “Hello?”

“OK, I’m going down.” It was the maid. I left him in the room and used the elevator to go down quickly to the lobby. When I got to the lobby, I saw my twin brothers with the maid carrying their clothes and some things.

“Hey, Zach and Zeke!”

“Hello!” they bear hugged me. I ushered them to my room, texting Gab to go before I get there with my brothers. By the way, the maid went already. And I also decided to sell our house already, hopefully someone would buy it in no time. From now on, I’m gonna stand as a student, mom, dad, teacher, sister, brother, maid for my brothers. This is gonna be hard, huh? When we got to the dorm, thankfully, Gab wasn’t there already. I helped my brothers put their bags in a neat place. Then I taught them some things they didn’t know and telling them that there would be no video games already. They were sad for a while but when I taught them how to play twister, they quickly loved it. Thank God.

After that, we fell asleep because tomorrow is another day. And I think it’s going to be a good one.