Chapter 8

Gab and Miss Cornea were always here to help me every afternoon. We had lots and lots of fun and Gab was getting really attached to my mom which makes it better. I’m glad mom liked Gab. This would be the ninth day, yep, I’m counting...Ha-ha!

The doorbell rang! Whoosh! I opened it and smiled but the smile melted away just as quickly as it happened.

‘Why was Kelly with them?’ was the first question that popped into my head.

I ushered Miss Cornea quickly into my room and Kelly into my mom’s room and as for Gab, I grabbed him by the arms. As soon as we sat down on the stools, I asked, “So why’s she here?”

“Kelly. Your mother told me to bring Kelly because she wanted to talk to her, chat with her. And that is why Kelly is here.”

“Oh...” I managed. It was all I could say. If only mom knew what was happening with Kelly and me. I sighed then went up to my room to study with Miss Cornea. It had been very long for me because half the time, I was imagining what Kelly might do. But, she wouldn’t do anything nasty in front of mom, right? But she would, maybe, somewhere else. “Miss Cornea,” I interrupted her discussion.

“Yes?”

“Can I get us some water?”

“Oh sure, my throat’s getting kind of dry anyway.” I smiled and went out of my room and to the kitchen. But something stopped me, I could hear the faucet running, maybe it was just the helper, but something in me doubted it.

I tiptoed quietly and peeked into the kitchen door. I could see Kelly and Gab washing their hands, not hand in hand, which made me feel relieved. Then, Kelly got a glass from the glassware and accidentally bumped into Gab. Yeah, maybe it was an accident. I didn’t freaking know! Then she dropped the glass. She gasped. “Oh gosh, sorry.” She and Gab bumped their heads together because both of them were trying to clean the glass shards. They both looked up and they almost touched each other’s lips. They were just one-half inch from each other which made me want to stride there and knock Kelly off with a punch. But of course I didn’t, I also wanted to know what Gab would do. They were still for the whole three seconds when Gab looked away. But Kelly cupped his cheeks with her palms. Maybe she’s thinking that this was her chance to take Gab away from me. But she can’t! Gab doesn’t like her, right? But what if...No, it can’t be! No! I waited for what Gab would do. Thankfully, he didn’t disappoint me. He pushed Kelly away and was on his way out when he saw me standing just outside. When he got out, I gave him a hug and a kiss on the lips. I smiled at him and raised my eyebrow at Kelly. What a great friend! “Kelly, you did great!” We left Kelly, angry at us. By the time we reached the point to part, I heard the door slam hard. I went into my room. “I thought you were to get us water?” Oh yeah! I totally forgot about that.

“I dropped the jar with the water.”

“Oh, that’s the one I heard a while ago. And I assume that you cleaned the spill and the debris which was why it took you long to come here again. Am I right?”

“Uh...totally!” I smiled with relief. We continued to study and then I took the calculus test, not one sweat dropped from my forehead. It would probably sound crazy if I told you that calculus is one of the easiest in math history. Well, that was my opinion. I got triple As and an A-, too bad, but still good.

Soon, they were all out and Miss Cornea realized that Kelly went already ahead of them. “Where did Kelly go?”

“Uh...she told me that she needs to buy something for a project,” I reasoned out.

“Oh... See you tomorrow, then.” I saw Gab winked at me and I smiled at him. I mouthed “Bye” to him and they left.