Chapter 11

A knock came and I opened it with a grin plastered on my face. Well, I was hoping it would be a great day so might as well start with a smile.

I was just done blow-drying my hair when I looked to see who it was. “Yes?”

“Hi, I’m Dustin. Uh...the dorm officer told me that I could stay here for a while. I was a dormer here, but I went away and lived with my girlfriend but I study here, so here I am, broke and moving on.” His blond hair was so messy but cool. And he has oceanic blue eyes and sharp nose.

“Oh, hi, I’m Jenny and here are my two brothers, Zach and Zeke.”

“Oh, nice meeting you, Jenny.” He looked over me and to my brothers. “Hey dudes!”

“Hi!” they said simultaneously in a cheery way.

“Guys, you got to get going. You know where already, right?”

“Yup! Bye!”

“Wait.” I handed them money for lunch and breaks. “Just waste it for lunch and breaks, OK? And when school’s done, go straight here, OK?”

“OK, bye!” They ran and went to the other building alone. They know how to do it. Dustin and I were alone now. “This is like a haunted dorm when night comes.”

“Really? Seems okay in daylight though.”

“Yeah, but it’s so creepy at night. Thank God he sent me you.” He smiled at him. I got my bag.

 “Hey, catch you later, OK?”

“Yeah, bye!” I went to my first class. I saw several glances from Gab, a suspicious one, like I betrayed him or something like that. I didn’t see any signs of Dustin. I wonder what year he was in. Then, my phone rang when I was just going for lunch.

Gab said:

Who are you looking for?

I said:

What do you care?

He said:

Tss...you’re looking for your new dorm mate, aren’t you?

I said:

Why do you need to ask if you knew who I was looking for?

He said:

Just wanna make sure. Chill, okay. You’re stressed.

I said:

Who wouldn’t be.

He said:

You know, if you want to talk, you could count on me.

I said:

That means going against my rule!

He said:

OK??? Then just text it here.

I said:

That would be tiring. Anyway, I got Dustin, so it would be no problem.

He didn’t reply after that, guess someone’s jealous... Serves him right after kissing my ex-best friend.

I had burger for lunch and I was a loner, until, “Jenny! May I seat with you?” It was Dustin! Where did he come from? Ha-ha! But it sure was a relief to have lunch with somebody.

“Yeah sure, Dustin, no problem. Anyway, what year are you in?”

“Third year.”

“Oh...that was why I don’t see you in any of my classes. I was actually searching for you.”

“Why?”

“Nothing, just wanna talk about things.”

“Like what?”

“Uh...let’s see, I don’t have parents already. Mom died just a few weeks ago or a week ago, can’t remember.”

“Oh, I’m sorry to hear that.”

“No, it’s okay. But, the thing is, that I would need to stand as everything for my twin brothers. And that would be super hard.”

“Let me guess, you want me to help you?”

“Yup,” I said, clasping my hands. “Would you mind?”

“Oh...not at all,” he said with a smile and then the bell rang and he ran while I finished my burger and threw the paper into the trash bin. I was about to walk to my class when I saw Gab. His green eyes were on me while my blue eyes were on his.

We eye contacted in short.

I was really glad that he was there. I almost wanted to ran to him and just hug him without saying a word, but that would be so...weird? I don’t know... I missed him so much. I just realized it now. Oh gosh, I can’t help myself, but I stood firm on my feet. I was actually struggling to take a step forward because I was thinking that if I did, my feet would lead me to him and I might kiss him and that would be good, but...I sighed and we were just standing still, like someone pressed the pause button. The last bell rang and we were just there. I gave up and sat against the wall. He sat beside me and we were silent....

We didn’t need to talk, just feeling him beside me felt really good...