Chapter 21: The Shepherd Four

Luke sat in the brig, staring at nothing. He had his hand on the floor, feeling the vibrations of the Teryoshin's engines. It was a loud, constant droning noise, indicating the engines were running on full capacity. According to the Captain, their destination was Xindiqui, the capital planet of the Union. From listening to the conversations between the guards, he discovered up that they were due to arrive in two days.

They were alerted by the noise of the door opening, and they watched as Ash entered the brig, followed by a guard and an officer.

''Mr. Brooke,'' the officer spoke, ''please follow us.''

''Why?'' Luke responded. 

''Commodore Grischenkov wishes to speak to you.''

'''What for?'' Luke protested. ''I already talked to him last week. I told him every-''

''Mr. Brooke,'' the officer interrupted him, ''come with us.''

Luke sighed, then got up from the ground. The others watched as he was lead out of the brig, before the door closed once again.

''What did you tell them?'' the Captain asked Ash after the guards had left.

''Nothing, really.'' Ash said, and dropped himself to the ground.

The Captain frowned. ''So, what? They didn't ask you anything?''

''They just asked the regular questions.'' Ash shrugged.

''Regular questions?''

''Jesus,'' Ash muttered, ''why does it even matter?''

''It matters a lot, Ash.'' the Captain said. ''Now, what did you tell them?''

''Listen,'' Ash said, ''I just answered the questions they asked me. I just told the story. Other than that, I didn't tell them shit.''

''You didn't tell them shit?'' the Captain scoffed.

''Christ,'' Ash sighed, and dragged his hand across his face, ''what the hell is this even about? Are you afraid I ran my mouth off?''

''Keep your voice down.'' the Captain hissed. ''They can hear you.''

''Who cares if they do?'' Ash grunted. ''They already know everything! It is not like I could tell them anything new, anyway.''

''Even if that is true,'' the Captain said, ''we will have to watch the words that come out of our mouths. These people will use anything you say against you.''

 ''I know.'' Ash responded. ''I already said that I didn't tell them anything.''

''Good, just keep that in mind.'' the Captain said. ''I hope Luke does the same.''

''Why do you think they are questioning him again?'' Daiyu asked carefully.

''I have no idea.'' the Captain admitted.

''Do you think he sold us out?'' 

''I doubt it.'' the Captain responded. ''But something definitely caught their attention.''

***

The door of the interrogation room opened, and Luke was lead inside. 

''Please sit down.'' the officer spoke to him. ''Commodore Grischenkov and Lieutenant Yuen will be with you in a minute.''

Luke nodded, and watched as the door closed. Once the men had left, he sighed and ran his hands through his hair. He glanced around the room, it was empty except for a metal table and three chairs. A security camera mounted on the wall followed him as he wandered over to the chair facing the door, and sat down.