Chapter 14: Ghost From The Past (Part 2 of 2)

Part 2 of 2

Luke glared at the planet below, it was a stunning sight. It was covered by a gigantic ocean for the most part, and there were no significant landmasses. It seemed the only patches of land were the thousands of tiny islands that were scattered across the blue expanse. It was a lush planet, land that was above sea level was covered almost exclusively with tropical rainforests. There were few places that were not overgrown by vegetation, just glades and beaches along the shores of the countless isles.

The atmosphere scanner aboard the Space Shepherd determined it had breathable air, and the planet was obviously a hospitable one, but there was no human civilization in sight, though it could still be inhabitated by raiders and other bandits. It wasn't marked on any chart, but the planet had been visible to the naked eye for some time, after they entered the star system a few days ago. The system didn't have an official name, it was located deep in the outer reaches of the zones, far away from the shipping lanes.

Luke removed his hands from the window in the armory, he had to get back to work. He didn't have alot of time, they detected an unknown vessel on their tail some time ago. They were certain it was the Union fleet, and the crew was arming themselves. Considering the two ships would meet in less then an hour, Luke knew he had to hurry up.

He walked over to a metal shelving unit, and lifted a cardboard box from the top shelf. He opened it, and looked at the twenty-four little brass cilinders inside, wrapped in red paper, and filled with metal pellets: 12-gauge shotgun rounds.

Luke fidgeted six rounds out of the little ammunition box, and loaded them into the shotgun he found on Harwaite. He pushed the remaining eighteen rounds into the pockets of his bandolier, and lifted the belt on his shoulder. He turned and picked up the other bandolier that was hanging on a bleacher, this one was holding his revolver rounds.

"Are you done yet?" He asked Ash, who was standing in front of a couple of gear lockers. The first mate slammed the 30-round magazine into his carbine, and pulled back the charging handle. "Yeah." He answered. Luke then turned to Daiyu, she nodded that she was ready, and holstered her pistol. It was an old weapon, the frame was metal, and it still had its original, wooden grips. Her sniper rifle was slung across her shoulder.

Unfortunately for her, Daiyu had no choice, because the crew had to be able to defend themselves and the Space Shepherd. The Union ship's intentions were unclear, they weren't sure if the Union vessel would try to board them, or if it was out to destroy the Space Shepherd. Luke didn't know what would happen, but he would find out soon enough.

Ash and Daiyu were called to the bridge, while Luke had to report to the upper gun decks the next hour. Nevertheless, he still decided to follow his friends to the bridge, to see if there were any new developments on the situation. The captain was still glued to the radar display, when the three entered the bridge, the old man's eyes tracked every move of the Union ship. Captain Hamilton tried to get a visual, but the unknown vessel was lurking in the shadows of the nearby planets. Eventually, the digital telescope managed to photograph their pursuer, when the ship was briefly exposed to the light of the system's star. The picture the telescope snapped was vague, but the sleek shape of the vessel it showed was somehow familiar to Luke. 

The captain looked away from the radar display, and a frown appeared on his face, when he noticed Luke in the room.

''Luke, what are you doing here? I thought I ordered you to report to the gun decks?''

''Yes, sir. I will leave in a minute.'' Luke said. ''I'm just here to check if there's any news.''

The captain turned his attention on the radar display again. ''Nothing new, to be honest.'' The old man said. ''They're are still gaining on us, but we still haven't been hailed yet. I fear the worst. They will likely attack us, but I can't be sure.''